• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Action for a .223 build

FL_Tactical

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
FL
Hey all. Been a lurker here for a while and appreciate the tons of great info on the site.

Thinking about getting a Rem700 action for a future .223 build. Already have a .308 bolt gun but wanted something else to start a build with so I can choose my barrel/twist (looking for a 1/8 twist to shoot some of the larger pills).

I was looking at Brownells and they have the small and standard short action receivers. For a .223 build, It looks like I would need the small 700 SA receiver, correct?

Thanks.

Re: Action for a .223 build

Yes, you would want a 700, short action, 0.378" diameter bolt face.
PN 767-000-817 @ Brownells

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, you would want a 700, short action, 0.378" diameter bolt face.
PN 767-000-817 @ Brownells </div></div>

Exactly what I was looking at. Thanks.

Now I need to pick a barrel, and think about what smith I can send the parts to. Lots of good ones are on this site and I've been doing research on a few of them. Seem to do incredible work.

You may want to pick up a PTG bolt with sako extractor installed, or have your stock one modded.

The already tempermental rem extractor likes to act extra shitty with the smaller case diameter.

If I remember right, the action at brownells is around $500. You could buy a used SPS Tactical (the whole rifle) for right at or less than that. If they made 700 ADLs in .223, you may be able to find one of those pretty cheap too. It would work fine as a donor.

Unless you are going custom or buying a used action for a couple hundred, buying a stripped Remington action isn't worth it. I just picked up a used SPS Tactical in .223 for $550 or $600, I don't remember which, but it looked like it hadn't ever been shot, it came with a Surefire muzzle brake fitted on it, a Badger bolt knob and a scope rail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may want to pick up a PTG bolt with sako extractor installed, or have your stock one modded.

The already tempermental rem extractor likes to act extra shitty with the smaller case diameter. </div></div>

I would recommend this also if you are set on using a Rem 700. Kicker is by the time that you buy the upgrade bolt and work the action to true it, you have as much invested in that action and bolt as you would a new Stiller action.

You may also want to consider a 1:7 twist barrel if you are thinking of pushing the heaviest .224 bullets. A 1:8 will probably do it, but a 1:7 will without question.

just bought my daughter this, fn tsr .223

DSC_0036-1.jpg

Here2Learn, what brand of barrel do you have. I'm gonna rebarrel my rifle sooner or later and do want to be able to shoot the 80s, but am not necessarily concerned about heavier. It sounds like you have what I'm looking for.

Lazy, it looks like she likes it.

1-7 twist barrels will stabalize the 80's just fine. I've got a Braughton 1-7 on my 223 and it shoots the 80 SMK and VLD's lights out.

I shoot with Here2Learn, not sure of the brand of his barrel, but it is 1-7 and it shoots 80's great.

No crap? The last 1:7 barrel I had was on an AR and didn't do so well. Maybe it was a bit slower than an actual 1:7. I guess I'll have to keep that in mind and give it a try.

8 twist barrel (cut rifled) will work just fine in a bolt rifle with everything up to and including 80gr VLDs.
If you go with a button rifled barrel, might want to go faster in twist because if button slips a little you might end up slower than 8.

Pick bullet and have chamber cut with enough freebore to put boattail/bearing at neck/shoulder.

Theres a .223 clipslotted action for sale in the for sale section, just saying, if that floats your boat, might as well start there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I remember right, <span style="color: #FF0000">the action at brownells is around $500</span>. You could buy a used SPS Tactical (the whole rifle) for right at or less than that. If they made 700 ADLs in .223, you may be able to find one of those pretty cheap too. It would work fine as a donor.

Unless you are going custom or buying a used action for a couple hundred, buying a stripped Remington action isn't worth it. I just picked up a used SPS Tactical in .223 for $550 or $600, I don't remember which, but it looked like it hadn't ever been shot, it came with a Surefire muzzle brake fitted on it, a Badger bolt knob and a scope rail. </div></div>

I was thinking of using a complete rifle as a donor but then found that the Brownells actions were on sale for $369 plus an additional 10% with a code. Seems like a good price for an action at the sale plus discount price?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may want to pick up a PTG bolt with sako extractor installed, or have your stock one modded.

The already tempermental rem extractor likes to act extra shitty with the smaller case diameter. </div></div>

Thanks for the info on the PTG bolt and better extractor. Did some research on it here and they got some great reviews.

Stupid question, could I sell off the factory bolt that came with the action if I got a PTG?

You could pick up a Tikka varmint .223 with an 8 twist barrel for $500 or less. It shoots 80 gr bullets just fine. The receivers need little if any truing and you can shoot it the whole time you are waiting for a stock with no rebarrel necessary.

FL, what's the code. At that price, I'd be willing to pick an action with out having to deal with all the rest.

Going to check it out now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FL, what's the code. At that price, I'd be willing to pick an action with out having to deal with all the rest.

Going to check it out now. </div></div>

From ar15.com Brownells industry thread: until 21 March, 2011, you can use the LE3 source code to get 10% off any order over $150