• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Action for a build recommendations

MIlivinTX

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2020
Okay I am starting to get into 600 yard to 1000 yard shooting for accuracy. I am not shooting in competitions just seeing how accurate I can get. I am thinking about building my first bolt action. What would be a good solid action to buy for the build that I don't break the bank on. I am going to stay short action maybe 6 dasher but I haven't made my mind up yet.

Defiance Tenacity, Defiance Ruckus

American Rifle Company makes great actions, the Nucleus is a bit more budget friendly

Zermatt Origin

Kelbly Atlas

You can't go wrong with Impact Precision actions. When bolted into an MPA chassis they feed perfectly, and they extract and eject into a nice tight pile on the ground. I also like the integral recoil lug and top rail.

Reactions: TurboTrout
If we are spending Impact money, Lone Peak Fuzion is another great action that shouldn't be overlooked.

So…for accuracy? Like benchrest/f-class? Go with a Borden. There’s simply nothing better.

If you are going to be all moving around and shooting off barricades and such, Impact.

Want to switch barrels on the regular? Terminus Zeus.

Feeling cheap and don’t mind dealing with a recoil lug? Bighorn Origin.

Finally, get the best barrel and best chamber-cutter you can find. Those two things make more difference in accuracy than the action does, assuming you haven’t used some bullshit savage or something.

So…for accuracy? Like benchrest/f-class? Go with a Borden. There’s simply nothing better.

If you are going to be all moving around and shooting off barricades and such, Impact.

Want to switch barrels on the regular? Terminus Zeus.

Feeling cheap and don’t mind dealing with a recoil lug? Bighorn Origin.

Finally, get the best barrel and best chamber-cutter you can find. Those two things make more difference in accuracy than the action does, assuming you haven’t used some bullshit savage or something.

The bolded advice can't be overstated enough.

I have an Impact -- Love it.

But what is it about Borden that you believe makes it better for bench/accuracy shooting -- Genuine inquiry.

Zermatt Origin
Definitely Origin for the first one. I've had several actions, and they all have pros and cons, nothing beats the origin for the money, and Customer Service is the very best. Super slick running action. I prefer the 90 degree 2 lug actions for ease of use and feel. If Zermatt ever makes a QC action, I will be all over it. I won't ever get rid of my Origin though.

I have an Impact -- Love it.

But what is it about Borden that you believe makes it better for bench/accuracy shooting -- Genuine inquiry.
I really don’t think the action does much to contribute to accuracy. Guys can shoot itty bitty groups off of bipods with all kinds of actions. But there are purpose built tools that are designed by discipline-experts that will improve the shooting experience and thus the results within those disciplines. Borden actions, particularly his drop port actions are made for the rapid strings of fire and delicate precision of the benchrest world. Perfectly timed bolts, coned bolt with buttery smooth action, drag-free fire control system, really concentric and square/true, diameter/stiffness of the action body, extractor style, recoil lug position or lack thereof for glue ins….etc. Bordens are everything the benchrest shooter wants, designed exactly like they want, and executed to as near perfection as is possible.

Kelbly and BAT actions would also be represented on the line at a BR match. So at some point it’s preference. In truth, I have a benchrest gun made around a factory R700 action that has shot many 200s at 600 yards.

So, I may have taken some liberties with what the OP wants to do. Accuracy…putting the bullet EXACTLY where you want it to go, can be achieved with lots of different actions…with a good barrel and a carefully cut chamber.

Just buy a 308 bolt action like a Tikka or whatever and shoot the crap out of it. Buy ammo, get a good scope, learn how to dial, read wind. Shoot some more. When you KNOW the shot didn't go where you wanted it to go, shoot some more.

Ok buy a 6.5cm, or a 6cm or a whatever. But you have to shoot the thing, a lot.

I run a stock blued R700 with a Brux barrel and shoot as well as the custom actions and run show smooth enough, only wish I could get prefits.

Origin is a great action, want an integral recoil lug, get a Bat igniter for 1075$ It's definitely smoother than the origin, and has that high end Bat lockup feel, like a fort Knox safe. However the origin has control round feed and mechanical ejector, I like those features too. Cannot go wrong. Want to really save money? Get a mack bros evo 2. They under 700$ and feel very nice. My brothers 6x47 based on the evo2, should be finished pretty soon

If you want to shoot the shorter 6s, an origin is a great recommendation. The bighorn/Zermatt actions do well with short cartridges due to the mechanical ejector and CRF. Price is great relative to other actions and you can always swap bolt heads if your wants drastically change.

I have a TL3, but I purchased that in 2016, before the origin existed. If I were buying today, I'd get an origin to save some cash, or a Zeus for the true QC barrel swap. I know people say it's stupid (QC barrels), but there is nothing stupid about easy.

For budget I don’t think you can beat a kelbly atlas tactical!

Allow me to throw this out there. I have a 6.5 SAUM with a Defiance Deviant action. I have a 6.5x47 L with a Surgeon action. I have a 6x47L with a ARC Archimedes action. And finally I have a .224 Valk with An ARC Nucleus action. ALL of the rifles are .2 group shooters at 100yds. The common denominator ( as has been previously stated) is a GREAT smith, and just my opinion here, Bartlein barrels. All of said rifles sport Bartlein. As has been said many times over here. The action is the delivery system. Almost all are capable of delivering outstanding accuracy as long as they are coupled with quality barrels and great gunsmithing skills. Buy what you can afford and then get the best smith you can find and a QUALITY barrel.