• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Action in mcree problem

hangingchads

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2006
Las Vegas (Henderson) Nevada
I got my mcree today and dropped my 700 aac-sd in and no matter how far I push the action back the recoil lug is not contacting the chassis. When shinning a flashlight in there I can see light under the entire surface.

Should I bed it and forget it or what else? I was hoping it would be straight drop in but with rummy these days I guess not.

I had the same issue with one recently...just bed it. Only takes a few minutes.

I'm not sure if their shop is back at 100% due to the ice storms, but give Scott or his crew a call and they'll be able to help you.

My Rem 700 was straight drop-in, with no bedding needed. When I mount my action into my McRees chassis, I put the stock vertical, resting on the buttpad. When you put the action into the chasis, the recoil lug rests flush in the chassis and I then spin in the screws. If you place your action into the chassis in a simialr fashion, does the recoil lug snug up?

Yeah that's just what I did, put it on the butt pad and I even forced the action down a tiny bit and no way can I get the lug to make contact. I tried calling them but no answer I'll try again.

I got my mcree today and dropped my 700 aac-sd in and no matter how far I push the action back the recoil lug is not contacting the chassis. When shinning a flashlight in there I can see light under the entire surface.

Should I bed it and forget it or what else? I was hoping it would be straight drop in but with rummy these days I guess not.

This may be of some interest

Bedding The McRees Precision Chassis | RecoilSports

Not just the lug, but the whole action may benefit from some light bedding.

Aren't McCrees built for different actions? Could you have a chassis that is intended for a different action than you have?

I believe the chassis is built that way to accept a trued remmy action which brings the action face and recoil lug back a few thousands or more. My trued actions have contact. The few I have seen untrued don't. Very easy to bed the lug area.

Are the action screws in place, is that whats holding the action forward? Pull the screws out and look up into the stock action screw hole, how far off are the threaded action holes in relation to the stock holes. Could part of the trigger housing or safety or bolt release be making contact with the stock. Only had one McRee and it was for a savage, no complaints and dropped right in. This could be the first fitment issue.

Fit is fine everywhere else just the lug is having no contact. The screws are designed into the stock and are retained so I'd have to take the stock completely apart to get the screws out. I installed the action 3 times the way the directions have told me and still getting no contact.

This isn't my first rodeo with bolt actions and have done my own work including bedding my mcmillan on my other 700. This is however my first chassis I've dealt with.

I called mcree but am less impressed with dealing with them. They were nice but when I told them I was not getting lug contact his first comment was how do you know because you can't physically see if there is contact. He asked how I know and I said I put a flashlight on one side and looked on the other and could see light entirely in the lug area. He told me it was just the relief cuts. I felt like I was treated like a dummy and that I could not know from that method. Unfortunately I was out in town when I could finally get ahold of them and whoever I talked to did not believe me that there was no contact.

Got home and shoved a piece of paper up there and it moved freely so yup no contact, now their closed and I know what I saw.

They also said they do not recommend bedding anything at all. He said just shoot it and forget it but if my lug is not contacting sorry I'm not going to shoot it and forget it. I have a really sour taste in my mouth right now towards mcree and considering on sending it back and going with an ax chassis. I WISH mcree was reading this.

End rant... Not really happy at this point. Thanks for the help guys.

Edit: I'm getting good contact at the v blocks but if I take the action screws out completely and let the recoil block sit on the chassis, the screw holes on action are ever so off from the stock.

Last edited:
There's quite a few guys on this board that live here in Vegas and I'm positive some of them have a McCrees chassis. Try contacting them and ask them about your concerns even ask to see their rifles. They run Sin City Precision and they're always attending some shootout here so I'm sure they'd be willing to help. Seem like very nice guys as well.

Yeah that was my next step but I need to call mcree tomorrow and try that route. I don't know if I feel good about bedding the recoil lug just to get contact. If it had uneven contact that's a difference but no contact is a problem.

Yeah thats what im afraid of... I already had to wait 7 days for 2 day shipping thanks to USPS. Now I am going to have to send it back and probably never get it till after the new year.

I'll take a look at mine tomorrow to see if I'm in the same boat, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say bolt it down to 65 in-lb and shoot it. Rem is so messed up these days, and there are so many people running Mcree's with factory barreled actions (myself included) that it can't be nearly an isolated case, and as this is the first time I've heard about it in x years on this site, I'm going to guess that it may not be an issue. Maybe someone with a little more experience with the issue can chime in, but since no one has come on to say that b/c the didn't have contact between the lug and stock that the action screws bent or the threads stripped, etc. I think you might be fine.

Ok I got to say I take back what I was feeling about talking to those guys. Maybe they were just short with me or something the other day for whatever reason. Got a better feeling today from talking to them. Got a few options to try before sending to back and will report back when I run through them.

At this point +1 for mcree.

Update: So after getting stock remington specs it appears my action screw holes are set back .0015 back from the recoil lug than they should be, real shocker with remington qc lately. Mcree recommended me drilling the holes slightly bigger and that did the trick I now how full lug contact.

So anyone that is not getting full contact on the lug try drilling the holes with a 9/32 drill bit and that should do the trick.

Last edited:
i got the same feeling talking to them, tried talking to them but they seem busy, once i actually get a hold, they are great to deal with. just gotta catch them at the right time or leave a message

I had the same problem but after some fenageling I was able to fit it right up.

Does anyone have any advice on chassis set up, ie what bolts to locktite, any material work good for reinforcing the check piece.
Has anyone sprayed their chassis with duracoat or something like that?