• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Action Screws; who made these?

aTFguy

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2008
USA
Does anyone recognize who made these on the M40A1? I'm looking for a set for a post-'64 Winchester M70. Thanks.
pix864353609.jpg

Re: Action Screws; who made these?

a little off topic but i was wondering, arent 700 action screws 1/4x20 i know they have to be a certain length, but is there anything else special about them? could i just go get some cap screws and fit them to length so they dont interfere with the bolt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CamW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington action screws are 1/4-28. Winchester ,I'm not sure, but someone here will know. </div></div>

My Win's are 1/4 x 32 tpi.......

The stock bolts are most likely made by Holo-Krome, Unbrako or similar. Some shops will modify the bevel under the head of the bolts and cut/grind to length.

The thread spec for the ones on the rifle shown (R700 Action) are 1/4-28tpi.

Your Winchester will take a different thread per chpprguy above. Remember that you will have a 3rd stock bolt under that floorplate that will need to retain a fairly flush head so that the plate will close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Remember that you will have a 3rd stock bolt under that floorplate that will need to retain a fairly flush head so that the plate will close.

</div></div>

I have seen 1 piece floorplates (steel) without the 3rd center bolt,
but I am not sure if that is factory or aftermarket????

When I did my M40ish rifle, I just used 1/4-28 grade 8 socket heads from Ace Hardware, chucked them in a drill and gave them a little taper and the right length.
I used a little sockethead countersink machine screw for the front of the trigger guard (I had to bed in a brass ferrule to repair where the original had broken out anyway).

Thank you for the replies. What is Tnagent Tactical? I tried a search for "Tnagent Tactical" and "Tangent Tactical" to no avail. Below is my Winchester Model 70 with Williams 1-piece floorplate prior to being Melonited. It only has two bolts for attaching to the receiver.
DSCN3673.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The stock bolts are most likely made by Holo-Krome, Unbrako or similar. Some shops will modify the bevel under the head of the bolts and cut/grind to length.

The thread spec for the ones on the rifle shown (R700 Action) are 1/4-28tpi.

Your Winchester will take a different thread per chpprguy above. Remember that you will have a 3rd stock bolt under that floorplate that will need to retain a fairly flush head so that the plate will close.

</div></div>

What Terry mentioned can be found at Mc Master Carr.

Stainless will usually be 18-8.
(not as strong)

Always willing to help.

(Any machining, or tooling questions too?)
TC