• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Action Screws

Pete E

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2004
North Wales, UK
Iwish to replace the straight slotted action screws on a couple of my rifles, and wondered what the best design of head was, torx or hex?

Is there any "standard" I should be looking for? I've heard some folks suggest either "marine" or "aircraft" quality items, but I'm not really sure where to get something like that in the UK..

Re: Action Screws

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would use a Torx head bolt over a Hex. </div></div>
I have herd several people say that, could you tell me why?

Torx heads are less prone to tool slippage, and thus deforming the head of the bolt. Torx heads also handle higher torque loads before the tool slips in the female socket of the bolt head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triple 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would use a Torx head bolt over a Hex. </div></div>
I have herd several people say that, could you tell me why? </div></div>

They seem to hold up better under repeated use, and don't strip as quickly as the hex...YMMV...

I usually up grade from a 5/32 hex head to a HK 3/16 hex head, I have yet to mess one up, guess to comes down to what works best for you. But I have messed up several of the screw driver slots.

Pete,
Contact Chad Dixon at Long Rifles Inc. He has action screws that are outstanding. They are allen head and very deeply broached. There is absolutly no tool slippage with them. Your bit will drop in almost a 1/2 inch.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Your bit will drop in almost a 1/2 inch.
John </div></div>

Thats deep. Wouldnt it be past the head into the shaft of the screw?

I like Torx head screws but get whatever you have a torque wrench bit for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Your bit will drop in almost a 1/2 inch.
John </div></div>

Thats deep. Wouldnt it be past the head into the shaft of the screw?

I like Torx head screws but get whatever you have a torque wrench bit for. </div></div>

Keith,
Sorry it took a bit for me to get back to this. My gun is at Chads right now so I cannot measure the depth of the screws, but I did try and measure the wear pattern on my allen head bit. About 3/8ths. The broached hole goes well into the shaft and there is a portion of the shank that is not threaded under the screw head. He told me the tool to do that operation was several hundred dollars. Just throwing this out there as I really like that small detail. For as many screws that I have stripped I like the fact that I know it wont happen with these screws.

John

Thanks for the suggestions gents..

With regards SS screws, is there an easy DIY method of bluing/blacking the heads?

I've been looking for SS Torx head screws for a 700... any idea where to look?

Couldn't find them at Brownells.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triple 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try Fasten All, or MSC. </div></div>
Fastenal will have the regular socket-head cap screws (hex), but not Torx. They only have button or flat socket screws with Torx. McMaster Carr only has 1/4-28 in 3/4" or 1" lengths. MSC has them in alloy steel only. The factory Remington screws for a BDL are 1/4-28 x 1 1/16" front, and 1 1/2" rear, and have oval heads. Your best option with factory bottom metal is to get them as flat heads if you go with normal fastener suppliers
I do not understand why all the concern with high torque and the action screws. Last I knew, I only torqued actions to 60-80 in-lbs. If you're slipping a normal hex at that torque, you need to slow down and pay attention to what you're doing.

If you plan on painting the fastener anyway, the HoloKrome fasteners are your best bet. In my experience, they are held to a little tighter QC standard than the normal hardware from China. If you use 18-8 or 316 stainless hardware, once you hit the rain, you are setting up a galvanic cell in the threads and the carbon steel (receiver) will lose to the stainless in that scenario.