• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Action selection Edit: Evo II inbound

JCCinOhio

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2014
I've got a Rem 700 .308 Win Remage that I built and it shoots well enough for me. However.. I want to upgrade the action on it as I also bought a .243 barrel that I want to use that action on...

I'm pretty sure the thread pitch is 1 1/6" x 16 TPI, the receiver is standard Rem 700 S/A.. The barrel is a McRee Precision barrel.

What decent actions can I get for UNDER $1000 that my 'old' .308 Remage barrel will fit on?

I just went through this talked to a few gunsmiths off (accurateshooter.com ) They list reputable smiths. I was told for a precision mag fed build BORDEN Mountaineer, BAT TR, or Defiance Deviant.
One smith mentioned Terminus Zeus. I’m new to bolt actions but would rather “ buy once cry once. “ I’m sure there are other companies but I’ve also been told some of these companies are relaxing tolerances to appease the prs crowd. Again this is what I was told by extremely reputable gunsmiths. I don’t shoot prs and would rather have tighter tolerances as I reload and shoot for groups off a bench in the back yard.

Last edited:
I just went through this talked to a few gunsmiths off (accurateshooter.com ) They list reputable smiths. I was told for a precision mag fed build BORDEN Mountaineer, BAT TR, or Defiance Deviant.
One smith mentioned Terminus Zeus. I’m new to bolt actions but would rather “ buy once cry once. “ I’m sure there are other companies but I’ve also been told some of these companies are relaxing tolerances to appease the prs crowd. Again this is what I was told by extremely reputable gunsmiths I don’t shoot prs and would rather have tighter tolerances as I reload annd shoot for groups off a bench in the back yard.
tolerances and clearances aren't the same thing

i honestly don't know if I've EVER seen a Borden or BAT at a PRS match. BR/F Class yes def

tolerances and clearances aren't the same thing

i honestly don't know if I've EVER seen a Borden or BAT at a PRS match. BR/
That’s my point exactly . From what the I’ve read and been told . They are built more for precision not running in dirt and dust . I have no use for an action that will run in my kids sandbox. I want the absolute most mechanical accuracy possible in a repeater.

That’s my point exactly . From what the I’ve read and been told . They are built more for precision not running in dirt and dust . I have no use for an action that will run in my kids sandbox. I want the absolute most mechanical accuracy possible in a repeater.
so you're saying you can shoot with a difference between an Zermatt/Terminus/Impact and a BAT?

it's not just clearances but things like right bolt left port, long tenons, larger tenons, bigger lugs, etc

Reactions: Vivacious Stallion
so you're saying you can shoot with a difference between an Zermatt/Terminus/Impact and a BAT?

it's not just clearances but things like right bolt left port, long tenons, larger tenons, bigger lugs, etc
Yes I am. That’s why I contact well respected gunsmiths for their opinion. If I just wanted to bang steel at 800 yards I would build a rifle for that. That’s not what I’m looking for . Nor am I trying to get into a pissing match. I simply want to know as a fact my action isn’t holding me back. Again I reload and shoot groups . I obsess over accuracy. That’s what I told the smiths . I simply posted what I was told in response. As I said I’m relatively new to bolt actions . Im typically a gas gun guy.

Yes I am. That’s why I contact well respected gunsmiths for their opinion. If I just wanted to bang steel at 800 yards I would build a rifle for that. That’s not what I’m looking for . Nor am I trying to get into a pissing match. I simply want to know as a fact my action isn’t holding me back. Again I reload and shoot groups . I obsess over accuracy. That’s what I told the smiths . I simply posted what I was told in response. As I said I’m relatively new to bolt actions . Im typically a gas gun guy.
Just my opinion, I’m not a LR guy, but I’d be willing to bet that even a factory R700 action that’s been blueprinted by a good smith is capable of more accuracy than the shooter is capable of.

As I said I’m relatively new to bolt actions . Im typically a gas gun guy.
Not gonna lie, that’s outright impressive if true. For someone who is new to bolt guns to already be at that level of proficiency. Guys that are excellent shooters that have had hundreds of thousands of rounds down range are nowhere close to being able to shoot the difference between those actions.

Here’s a screenshot of what’s winning
Just my opinion, I’m not a LR guy, but I’d be willing to bet that even a factory R700 action that’s been blueprinted by a good smith is capable of more accuracy than the shooter is capable of.
Not gonna lie, that’s outright impressive if true. For someone who is new to bolt guns to already be at that level of proficiency. Guys that are excellent shooters that have had hundreds of thousands of rounds down range are nowhere close to being able to shoot the difference between those actions.
Gas guns are more difficult to shoot .
I stand by what I said . Hear a shit of what’s winning in Benchrest . Again I’m after accuracy. They know accurac. No origins , Mack bros etc…
7B1CA717-7FAC-42EA-8AA4-5FC802117DCF.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
Here’s a screenshot of what’s winning

Gas guns are more difficult to shoot .
I stand by what I said . Hear a shit of what’s winning in Benchrest . Again I’m after accuracy. They know accurac. No origins , Mack bros etc…View attachment 8102674
My comment was innocuous. Of course I reserve doubts. This isn’t the first time we’ve heard this. I know what wins benchrest and who wins them. I’m also familiar with the difference between shooting gas guns and shooting bolt guns.
I also stand by my comment. If you are really new to bolt guns and are already shooting the difference between those actions, you are on your way to cleaning the benchrest competitions. I look forward to seeing you there!

You asked if I thought I could shoot the difference. If I didn’t think it mattered I would have bought an Origin or another cheap action . Fact is if you want accuracy you have to pay for it wether gas gun or bolt action. If every bullet doesn’t go through the same hole I’m not interested. Either way I knew when I posted the fan boys would attack. Honestly I could not care less. This is why for my build I asked some of the top smiths in the country and didn’t come here. I knew on here I would have all the “experts” chiming in with nothing more than their opinions. I know what companies win at accuracy . I posted a snippet above. There is good reason why you don’t see a Mack bros or Origin on the line. That’s why I didn’t buy one. I don’t want to ever be limited by my equipment. I will gladly pay more for piece of mind.
Happy Shooting

• Haha
Reactions: Fig and jb0311
You're worried about the utmost in accuracy and you bought a "Mcree" barrel? Those benchrest guys have front rests that cost well over $1000 too.

OP here.. we're losing sight of helping ME... LOL... I'm just a casual backyard shooter.. I know, quit wading in the water with the big sharks.. But I just want to upgrade my action A LITTLE.. I want to use the current stock Rem 700 action on a different build (243), and want a reasonably priced decent action for my .308. With a basic NIB Rem 700 action costing upwards of $600 I'm willing to toss in A LITTLE more. The Mac Bros looks good if it will work. That's about the only one that has the right tread size/pitch that's been mentioned. ARC Coup de grace has the wrong thread.

You asked if I thought I could shoot the difference. If I didn’t think it mattered I would have bought an Origin or another cheap action . Fact is if you want accuracy you have to pay for it wether gas gun or bolt action. If every bullet doesn’t go through the same hole I’m not interested. Either way I knew when I posted the fan boys would attack. Honestly I could not care less. This is why for my build I asked some of the top smiths in the country and didn’t come here. I knew on here I would have all the “experts” chiming in with nothing more than their opinions. I know what companies win at accuracy . I posted a snippet above. There is good reason why you don’t see a Mack bros or Origin on the line. That’s why I didn’t buy one. I don’t want to ever be limited by my equipment. I will gladly pay more for piece of mind.
Happy Shooting
Yeah. But they guy wants to use a remage he already has. Your comments are not germane to the topic.

I get you have all this knowledge on what wins and stuff. You state you have to pay for accuracy, but then you limit the purchase to $1k. Can you see where their could be some hypocrisy in your post?
that's not the OP. He's just a bolt-shooting prodigy that can out shoot those cheap prs actions.

I get you have all this knowledge on what wins and stuff. You state you have to pay for accuracy, but then you limit the purchase to $1k. Can you see where their could be some hypocrisy in your post?
You're worried about the utmost in accuracy and you bought a "Mcree" barrel? Those benchrest guys have front rests that cost well over $1000 too.

Guys, StaveyIL is not the OP...

One smith mentioned Terminus Zeus. I’m new to bolt actions but would rather “ buy once cry once. “ I’m sure there are other companies but I’ve also been told some of these companies are relaxing tolerances to appease the prs crowd. Again this is what I was told by extremely reputable gunsmiths. I don’t shoot prs and would rather have tighter tolerances as I reload and shoot for groups off a bench in the back yard.
Did you even read the OP? Looking for a budget action that will accept his current Remage barrel.... Somehow the conversation turns to PRS, Benchrest, and whats winning.

OP wants to spend less than $1k with specific requirements and gets told "go be poor somewhere else, this is what the competition world is doing". And to top it off someone's honor gets thrown into the mix when debating the precision ability between varying tolerances in bolt actions.

1679518012013.gif

TacOps has entered the chat

Did you even read the OP? Looking for a budget action that will accept his current Remage barrel.... Somehow the conversation turns to PRS, Benchrest, and whats winning.

OP wants to spend less than $1k with specific requirements and gets told "go be poor somewhere else, this is what the competition world is doing". And to top it off someone's honor gets thrown into the mix when debating the precision ability between varying tolerances in bolt actions.

View attachment 8102874

Accuracy International or GTFO

What part of "decent action Under $1000" did you miss?!

Reactions: MarshallDodge

View attachment 8102874
This is the way.

• Haha
Reactions: reubenski