• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

action shooting match scoring help

TOPGuN050

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2012
Butler PA
hows it going,

Myself and and a friend of mine have been running some small action shooting 2 gun matches.

our issue is our scoring method. we are timing each shooter and deducting 2 seconds for each hit they get. They run the course 3 times. We adjust the times based on hits, average them together and lowest time wins.

What we are trying to accomplish is having a premium on accuracy and a decent balance where your efficiency and speed matter as well but not as much as accuracy. we are seeing guys that run it faster with less hits winning the match.

what we are asking here is what would be the best way to make the accuracy an even bigger part of it? Do we make hits more valuable? Do we deduct time for hits and add time for misses? etc. etc.

any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

I've only shot a few matches myself, but what I've seen was each stage, you record points (based on accuracy) and a time. Then rank people by points, using time as a tie-breaker. Each stage also has a reasonable time limit, so you can't take forever.

we are timing each shooter and deducting 2 seconds for each hit they get.
Well, most of the action shooting sports have penalties associated with non-hits and/or bad hits that are severe enough that you "can't miss fast enough to win!" My initial thought is to increase the size of your reward for hits so that they are substantial enough to overcome a FAST inaccurate shooter or to instill a penalty for bad hits/misses. You can look at IDPA or USPSA scoring for some ideas.

ICORE has the simplest scoring method, followed closely by IDPA.
ICORE puts more emphasis on accuracy.
IDPA is still, primarily a speed game, I have shot many a stage clean but folks that shoot faster with more points down will win.

USPSA is all about speed with a very confusing algorithm to figure scores.

Far easier to score paper targets than to score all steel. All steel would be easiest to score as total time plus penalty time for each miss (ICORE is 5 sec). Or you could do a straight score system, no time. 10 points first round hit, 8 points if it takes two rounds and zero for miss.

Reduce the size of the steel, by at least 50%, accuracy starts to become the true deciding factor. As long as the steel is "easy enough" to hit somewhere, and a hit is a hit, speed will skew the skills dept. The smaller the steel, the more emphasis is placed on accuracy.

I'm his friend that runs the matches with him. The real issue is we had one person that isn't doing as well as he'd thought, and found a flaw in our system. The average run time of each course is around 65 seconds with a total amount of 25 hits available. Minus 2 seconds for hits. One person mentioned that they thought someone could dump mags and Sprint the course and win the money. Which is what made us question our scoring system. We want balance of speed and accuracy. And thought we'd ask people here that may have been involved in other similar type competitions.

Time + penalties is a fairly common scoring system. If you want to set a CoF that reduces "hosing" and emphasize accuracy:

1. reduce target size and or increase target distance
2. increase your penalty times for non-shoots and or increase the number of non-shoots and place them closer to the targets
3. do you have a "failure to neutralize target" penalty? Typically this is either 5 or 10 seconds.

65 seconds for 25 targets is a fairly long stage. Is there a lot of movement?

Also, where are you running this match in Butler and when? I will be back in the area later this Summer and might be able to swing by.

^^^I agree with this^^^

If you have penalties for non-shoots and FTNs (failure to neutralize), then a person cannot win by just sprinting the course.

Take a quick gander at IDPA scoring rules just to give you a bit of an idea. You don't have to get all that complicated, but the scoring concept works pretty well.

Time + penalties is a fairly common scoring system. If you want to set a CoF that reduces "hosing" and emphasize accuracy:

1. reduce target size and or increase target distance
2. increase your penalty times for non-shoots and or increase the number of non-shoots and place them closer to the targets
3. do you have a "failure to neutralize target" penalty? Typically this is either 5 or 10 seconds.

65 seconds for 25 targets is a fairly long stage. Is there a lot of movement?

Also, where are you running this match in Butler and when? I will be back in the area later this Summer and might be able to swing by.
there is quite a bit of movement in the match. we set up 1 course of fire as of now and each shooter gets 3 runs at it. as we are able we may expand and have more stages.
the matches are held at the R.C.Mens club in Herman PA. Summit township. we would be happy to have you out. as of now we have one match a month. next shoot is on for June 21st.

there is quite a bit of movement in the match. we set up 1 course of fire as of now and each shooter gets 3 runs at it. as we are able we may expand and have more stages.
the matches are held at the R.C.Mens club in Herman PA. Summit township. we would be happy to have you out. as of now we have one match a month. next shoot is on for June 21st.

I'll be in touch closer to my trip North, but if possible I will swing by. Good to see that type of shooting happening in the area. I've been in NC for 10 years now, but still retained my membership at Butler City Hunting and Fishing up until 2014 (20+ years). I miss the area but not the Winter's! :)

I'll be in touch closer to my trip North, but if possible I will swing by. Good to see that type of shooting happening in the area. I've been in NC for 10 years now, but still retained my membership at Butler City Hunting and Fishing up until 2014 (20+ years). I miss the area but not the Winter's! :)

sounds good. just let us know. if you would like any more of the schedule I can send it to you. and yes I agree the winters are the reason I considered moving.

we decided to host these matches considering there is nothing like it in the area and we kept seeing people at the range just sit at the bench with an AR and never shoot it any other way. the popularity is growing and we have a pretty good bunch of shooters that come out every month.

[MENTION=67623]TOPGuN050[/MENTION], contact me for some information about our club down here in Florida. We hold Carbine Matches every month here and they have it pretty down pat. Maybe I can link you with the guy who runs those for some direct questions to him. I have not been to a carbine match yet, but I do know that they are pretty popular; they must be doing something right.