• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing action to high or need longer action screws?

Partagas

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2005
WY
I am putting my LTR in an m40a1 return stock, I hogged out the lug area and roughed up the rest of the bedding to skim bed it. Now my action screws are too short and I had ordered longer screws but they are too long. After looking at other photo's I think my action is sitting high but I did find one photo of a return stock I think chads3 had with the bottom of the ejection port higher than the cutout in the stock.

Should I take out the bedding and hog out more til it sits flush or trim my longer action screws? If I need to trim my action screws can I just use a cutoff wheel on a dremel?
IMAG0027.jpg

Re: action to high or need longer action screws?

Barreled action looks to be sitting high, If it were me I would remove the old bedding and rebed!

Re: action to high or need longer action screws?

IMHO, the receiver is too high causing the screws to be too short. Improper fit between the barreled receiver and stock is an accuracy killer. Get that right and you’re on the road to a great shooting rifle.

Remove the bedding from the stock and refit the receiver using my method listed in the bedding thread. Use the receiver ejection port and the ejection port cutout in the stock as your guide. When these two lines are running parallel and even, your set and ready for bedding. Remove enough of the old bedding and all of the bedding around the recoil lug to accomplish this. Wrap tape around the barrel to help establish the fit. Again, look up my bedding thread as this will help a great deal. As they say, a picture is worth 1000 words.