• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

action truing at GA

rasman35

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2011
Wheaton, IL USA
im going to be sending my rifle to GA Precision hopefully in the very near future to have them install a new barrel and true up the action. question for either the guys at GA or anyone who has had them do work, after the trueing up a rem 700 does it remove all the bolt "slack"? ive been doing a lot of reading about the service and a few places install bushings to make the bolt more snug in the reciever. just not sure if only few places do that or if its pretty much always done when trueing an action. thanks

Re: action truing at GA

You will still have the slop in the bolt.

They trued up a long action 700 for me and it's the smoothest 700 I ever felt

It also was a tackdriver!!

You'll be fine. If you want to sink alot of money in a 700 I would suggest getting a custom clone like a Surgeon or BAT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to sink alot of money in a 700 I would suggest getting a custom clone like a Surgeon or BAT</div></div>

Or a Templar
wink.gif

As long as it's tight at lock up is what counts and George and crew will make sure it is and shooting great. There will be some slop in the bolt when working it but that's not always a bad thing.

No - and if the raceways got the slightest bit dirty, the cycling would get sticky.........

What you are reffering to is called sleeving the bolt.Arguments can be made for a benchrest gun but a tactical/field rifle its a recipe for problems.

Typical trueing is squaring the reciever face and lugs.Recuting the threads so everything is true to the bolt raceway.The bolt lugs and bolt face are squared as well and lapped in.