• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Action Truing/Rebarrel

lencomatt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
COS, CO
Here's what I got, Remington 700 XCR Tactical, 300win. It shoots great, after the brake install and re-crown I get somewhere close to a quarter inch at 100. The barrel isn't close to being worn out, I was going to do a switch barrel/PSR type build. My local smith wants to true the action when he does the barrel. I'm curious if it even needs it, it shoots pretty dang good right now. I wonder if the action is trued will the original barrel still shoot when I switch it back, will it possibly be better, or will it go to crap? If the threads and chamber are cut already on the barrel can they be trued too? I'm sure somebody has done something like this and has an answer. Thanks

If the action is trued, the original barrel would have to be set back and rethreaded with larger threads to match the threads in the receiver. I would leave it alone if it shoots that good.