• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Action Truing

tanda10506

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Phelan, CA
I've heard this mentioned on here before. I was wondering what it actually is? I know it makes the gun more accurate, but I was wondering what is actually done. Also, how much does it usually cost (rough estimate)?

Re: Action Truing

Blueprinting an action is just like in a race engine. Square everything, recut the threads and square the boltface, and lap the bolt lugs for more even contact. Costs vary, but check with some of the Hide sponsors. GreTan rifles has done amazing things with a Remington action. As well as GAP, and a whole bunch of others. JPG

Go to Gre-Tan's website, he has some info and some good instructional videos.

Briefly, he reams the bolt raceway to a consistent diameter (0.705, IIRC), refaces the face of the action true to the freshly reamed boltway, recuts the threads with a single point tool to get them true. Recuts the surfaces the bolt lugs bear on.

Some folks will "true" an action differently using a tap to clean up the threads, but after watching Greg Tannel's method and various other methods on videos rented from Smartflix, I'll say I prefer the Gre-Tan way.

Not a gunsmith, just a crackpot with a lathe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silverbullet-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blueprinting an action is just like in a race engine. Square everything, recut the threads and square the boltface, and lap the bolt lugs for more even contact. Costs vary, but check with some of the Hide sponsors. GreTan rifles has done amazing things with a Remington action. As well as GAP, and a whole bunch of others. JPG </div></div>

what blueprint are you working off of? most people are just truing/squaring the action, not machining to a predetermined spec on a blueprint
wink.gif

I want mine .030 over with 10:1 compression, ported and polished, balance the crank. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silverbullet-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blueprinting an action is just like in a race engine. Square everything, recut the threads and square the boltface, and lap the bolt lugs for more even contact. Costs vary, but check with some of the Hide sponsors. GreTan rifles has done amazing things with a Remington action. As well as GAP, and a whole bunch of others. JPG </div></div>

what blueprint are you working off of? most people are just truing/squaring the action, not machining to a predetermined spec on a blueprint
wink.gif
</div></div>

Someone is always a comedian!

Since this is about blueprinting actions...what are most peoples opinion on bolt sleeving in regards to precision rifles used in the field?

Sleeving and Field use are mutually exclusive.

Sleeving creates tight tolerances, which are perfect for BR guys looking for the absolute tightest lockup and ridgity in their rifles.

Using a rifle in the field exposes it to dirt, dust, moisture, ect which if the bolts tolerances are tight (read sleeved) you have a higher chance of getting hte bolt to stick, or have issues opening/closing reliably. Tight tolerances + grit/grime = bad. Thats one of hte may reasons you see bolts that are fluted,and fit a little loose. If crap gets in the action, they just crush through it and keep going.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oh_heck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since this is about blueprinting actions...what are most peoples opinion on bolt sleeving in regards to precision rifles used in the field? </div></div>

In a field rifle, if you want many of the benefits of sleeving, you can do "Borden Bumps" which are built up areas on the bolt to keep it centered when locked up, but leave enough gap for the bolt not to bind up on crap.