• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Active in ear pro

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Not seeing much info in the search. I don't recognize any of the brands I find when googling. Anyone have any recommendations?

I like the Peltor TEP 100’s with the “skull screw” foam ear buds. I thought they stopped making them but found this on Amazon. 3M TEP 100 @ Amazon. Long lasting (have yet to run out a charge). Good NRR rating (31 IIRC with skull screws). Been using mine for about 2 1/2 years now and will buy again when the time comes and if available. Looks like the TEP 200’s are the replacements.

I have and would recommend Otto Noizebarrier. I did switch to the Comply foam tips as I prefer them to the included foam tips.

I have and would recommend Otto Noizebarrier. I did switch to the Comply foam tips as I prefer them to the included foam tips.
And I would not. I have a set that currently does not work. Only one will register innthe charging block. This is a replacement pair that was sent to me by Otto because the first pair was doing the same thing on arrival. Warranty is only a year and they won’t replace them again.

So I have had two sets do it. Also have two buddies that purchased them along with me and each of them are having the same issue. One of them is on his second pair as well.

Otto’s suggestion? Give them $75 for a refurbished unit (which they have no eta when they will have) or $150 for a new one (again which they have no clue when they will have)

When they worked they were good and the comply tips are a must. But I have personally seen 5 pairs go down the exact same way.

Would not recommend.

You didn’t specify what your budget was….i just ordered a set of the Trophy Ear Flex Pros. I haven’t received them yet. I had to have a set of ear impressions made. It was easy. Only took about 15 min at the local hearing aid place. Cost me $25 for them to do it. The Flex Pros are $1399. A lot of people will have an aneurism thinking about spending that much on ear pro. However, they won’t bat an eye at spending $3000 on a scope or $1500 for a stock/chassis. Once your hearing is fucked up, it’s permanent.

I’ve always worn Sordins with foam plugs under them. Even with gel cups, they hurt my head/ears after 4-5 hours at a match. I also wear ear pro when I hunt. So this just seemed like a good investment to me. Trophy Ear is a one man show. When you call, he answers the phone. He makes your ear pro. He ships it. He works on it if you should have to ever send it back for repair. I liked that aspect.

And I would not. I have a set that currently does not work. Only one will register innthe charging block. This is a replacement pair that was sent to me by Otto because the first pair was doing the same thing on arrival. Warranty is only a year and they won’t replace them again.

So I have had two sets do it. Also have two buddies that purchased them along with me and each of them are having the same issue. One of them is on his second pair as well.

Otto’s suggestion? Give them $75 for a refurbished unit (which they have no eta when they will have) or $150 for a new one (again which they have no clue when they will have)

When they worked they were good and the comply tips are a must. But I have personally seen 5 pairs go down the exact same way.

Would not recommend.

I have the same issue with mine. Really liked them when they worked, but they didn't last very long for what they cost.

You didn’t specify what your budget was….i just ordered a set of the Trophy Ear Flex Pros. I haven’t received them yet. I had to have a set of ear impressions made. It was easy. Only took about 15 min at the local hearing aid place. Cost me $25 for them to do it. The Flex Pros are $1399. A lot of people will have an aneurism thinking about spending that much on ear pro. However, they won’t bat an eye at spending $3000 on a scope or $1500 for a stock/chassis. Once your hearing is fucked up, it’s permanent.

I’ve always worn Sordins with foam plugs under them. Even with gel cups, they hurt my head/ears after 4-5 hours at a match. I also wear ear pro when I hunt. So this just seemed like a good investment to me. Trophy Ear is a one man show. When you call, he answers the phone. He makes your ear pro. He ships it. He works on it if you should have to ever send it back for repair. I liked that aspect.

I will have to look into these. I already have tinnitus and lost a fair amount of hearing from shooting and work. $1399 is cheap compared to what hearing aids will cost down the road if my hearing gets much worse.

Reactions: M8541Reaper

Would not recommend.
Was there anything you may have done to cause this? Leaving them on the charger for elongated time periods, running them dead?

I have a pair and they have been fantastic, I also picked up a pair of eep 100’s so I can leave one pair in my rifle bag, and another in my shotgun bag. The Otto’s are far superior in sound quality, and being able to charge them from the case is great.

I’ve had the Otto’s for over 2 years, and the eep 100’s for a little over a year. Both get used weekly.

Was there anything you may have done to cause this? Leaving them on the charger for elongated time periods, running them dead?

I have a pair and they have been fantastic, I also picked up a pair of eep 100’s so I can leave one pair in my rifle bag, and another in my shotgun bag. The Otto’s are far superior in sound quality, and being able to charge them from the case is great.

I’ve had the Otto’s for over 2 years, and the eep 100’s for a little over a year. Both get used weekly.
went to a match, shot match, placed them back into shooting bag. Did not use them for awhile and now one will not work. Charged case completely no change.

As I mentioned my first pair was DOA as soon as i got them and multiple people have the same issue that I know very well.

Otto knows damn well they get tons of complaints about them. The first thing they said in the email just so you know the Micros are not repairable, replaceable, or under any warranty.

I got them for $350 or and COULD NOT imagine paying what they want now.

That really sucks to hear. Especially because from what I’ve read, they are one of the best options without going to a custom setup.

Reactions: Kadams1563
Damn that’s disappointing about the Otto Micros.

Got mine in August (with the Comply tips) and have used them every week (sometimes twice a week) since then. Matches, training days, RSO shifts… zero issues.

Pull out of range bag, use for 6-8hrs, place in case on drive home, get home and plug in to charge, remove charger, clean, place back in range bag.

Only thing I wished they made better was the case. It isn’t broken but seems very flimsy. Wish they would have just used a quality pelican case. I use a Ranger band around it to keep it closed when tossed in the bag.

Electronic Shooter Protection. Trades as ESP

Get the Apex…yeah, they are some dough but they have by far the best auto wind/white noise cancellation circuit (and I e tried a number of products) and wind noise is no joke.

And, if you have hearing aids, as I do, they will
Take your audiogram and program you units with that equalization. Sounds like hearing aid but with fast attack loud noise attenuation circuit.

And they take pretty big batteries (#13 and not the little brown ones used on most non-rechargeable aids and which die like flies). I e been very happy with them and in additional to rifle events I wear them quail hunting in Georgia where we really want to here each other and the guide while not have muffs in the way of the shotgun and with no worries about them falling out on the brush.

1710216099007.png

Last edited:
I did have a similar issue with the Ottos. In my case I had left one on when I placed it in the case. I didn't use them for a while after that and the one I left on had discharged and used up all the remaining charge of the battery/case as well as its own battery. It killed the one but the other the had been turned off was fine. I contacted Otto and explained what had happened and asked if I could pay for a repair. They replaced the entire case and ear pros with a new case an ear pro free of charge out of warranty. I'm very diligent now to make sure both ear pieces are off before I put them back in the case. Bummer to hear others having a bad experience with the company.

Electronic Shooter Protection. Trades as ESP

Get the Apex…yeah, they are some dough but they have by far the best auto wind/white noise cancellation circuit (and I e tried a number of products) and wind noise is no joke.

And, if you have hearing aids, as I do, they will
Take your audiogram and program you units with that equalization. Sounds like hearing aid but with fast attack loud noise attenuation circuit.

And they take pretty big batteries (#13 and not the little brown ones used on most non-rechargeable aids and which die like flies. I e been very happy with them and in additional to rifle events I wear them quail hunting in Georgia where we really want to here each other and the guide while not have muffs in the way of the shotgun and with no worries about them falling out on the brush.

View attachment 8370836.
These really are one of the best products out there. I love mine and they were free. If I had to pay for them I would find a way.

Reactions: Baron23
That sucks. I have all sorts of ear pro (sordins, custom molded electronic, Ottos). I picked up the Ottos because they were cheaper than another set of customs (oddly my customs really aren't all that comfortable) and I liked the case idea. I have used them pretty hard and so far so good.

I do remember when I first got them I called Otto and they didn't have any in stock. I think I got mine from some obscure place on the web that seemed a little shady. So weird that some people have great luck and some don't, like many things we deal with in this hobby. It really does come down to customer service with many of these outfits and sounds like Otto is hit or miss.

I’ll just throw out there that I’ve never been happy with any “flange” style ear plugs, nor any of the foam plugs associated with active in ear solutions. The only plugs that seem to work with my ears are the orange foam plugs. Even professionally molded custom plugs. You’re paying a lot of money for the electronics, but the interface could be the weak link…

Another vote for Otto Customer Service. I had one of the earpieces die after max 10ths of use. It was sitting in the charged case for 6 months without use, and one of the wait pieces just died. Case still charged, and the other earpiece charged. The dead one would not charge from either side, and the case would not recognise it. Sent everything back, and had a brand new box sent within 2 weeks. I was just expecting for Otto to take a look at the dead one, but they went far beyond expectations.

I made the mistake of buying a pair of the Walker's Disrupters. They didn't work from day one. The "Active" Noise cancelling never functioned properly. They didn't even pass the "Clap" test. Just to be sure I tried them at an indoor range. HUGE MISTAKE.

These days I have and very much like my AXIL Xcor unit. They work great and have held a charge for a few weeks between infrequent use. I do wish they could amplify audio better. Their highest level is only slightly better than normal hearing (for me).

I also have a set of the 3M TEP-100's as a backup. And with the Skull Screws, they work good.