• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Active retention holster for G17L

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
I am planning on a run and gun this fall and I will be shooting my 17L, its the only full size that I own. However, the event recommends that holsters have active retention.

Does anyone know of anyone making a retention holster for the 17L?

Safariland makes one in a GLS but that looks like it would be easy to active the release going over an obstacle. I know that I could use a standard G17 holster with an open bottom, but if I am doing an obstacle run I would prefer to have the muzzle enclosed.

Tape over the end of the holster, cardboard, kydex, sheet metal, a cement mold, foam... on and on and on

Next solution:
Wouldn't a Safariland ALS holster for the Glock 34 work?
The 17L barrel length is a little greater but it should be fine.

I say that, because I have a Safariland ALS red dot for a P320 compact
And
A Safariland ALS non-red dot for my P320 carry.
Both for those guns with TLR1-HL lights on them.

Both guns now wear a twin port compensator which is 1.25" long and both work in their ALS holster and the ALS function works great.
My Wilson P320 carry with twin port comp is in that ALS sitting in my battle belt on my nightstand right now.
I just took off my Sub compact with twin port comp in my ALS as I was wearing it while I was out doing yard work and leveling my driveway, running a tiller and box blade.

So I use the holsters and don't have issues with them, even slamming them into things doing yard work and such.

So, I'd imagine the .7" or so in length difference shouldn't be an issue... but, I don't know for sure as I have never owned a Glock, don't know that I've ever even held one.

But it seems like it should work, worst case scenario may be that you need to take the barrel stop thing out, which isn't really a problem...

So I actually got semi-lucky and used TR Holsters. They made the standard OWB that I use for my 17L with surefire 300 and they offer a retention model that I was able to build with the same options. Down side is a 3-4 month lead time which puts me PAST the event that I needed it for.

I ordered it anyways, but I'm gonna have to come up with a shadetree solution for the event.

I used a G-Code retention holster for my G17L in 3-gun and really like it. The retention is a spring-loaded piece that covers the top of the pistol. For stages where you're standing still or starting with your pistol, you have the option to have already released the retention for that 1 millisecond advantage. If the stage doesn't require pistol at all, it can be removed in a few seconds.

I've got the Safariland ALS for my Glock 34. You can adjust the tension on the draw stroke. The locking lever is well thought out to me. Unlike the Blackhawk serpa.