• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adam's Arms .308 issues

starsea

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2024
South Carolina
I recently picked up.an Adam's Arms Patrol carbine in
16" barrel, mid length gas piston system.
The first rounds that I put through it was some Radway Green. About 10 rounds just sighting in the scope. The empties landed around 5:00. Then I put some PPU white box in it. The bolt was ejecting the rounds but not reloading the next round. The empties land at 5:00 but also at 3:00 on some rounds. Ended the session with a shell that was stuck in the barrel. The extractor tore off a piece of the rim.
The next session I was getting the same results with the Radway Green that I was getting with the PPU. A Federal M1A round got stuck and part of the rim was ripped off. I was running it wet for most of that session. Some Hornady Custom rounds worked but the Remington SP didn't. (Not sure of the load).
On the third session Winchester 180 SP work but the lighter Winchester load didn't. And a reload (a friend's pet AR-10 load using virgin ППУ brass (PPU) got stuck and part of the rim ripped off.
I'm thinking the gun is under gassed and maybe has a rough chamber. The buffer tube 7.875" long, the buffer weighs 3oz and the buffer spring is 12.5" long. I was thinking of trying the spring and buffer out on my AR-15 to see if it would function with the lighter 147 gr loads. And cleaning the heck out of the chamber.
Looks like the early Adam's Arms guns had a lot of problems with undersized gas ports in the barrels. Reading some of the post here it looks like people were trying different springs and buffers to get their guns running cor. Any suggestions? What spring length and buffer are you running in your 16" mid length .308?

Contact Adams Arms. They'll take care of you. Yes, even if it's an early gun and you're not the original owner.

Reactions: starsea