• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adams Arms Piston vs. Superlative Arms Piston conversion kits

Smitty192

Stand-up Philosopher
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Deep East Texas
I've been wanting to get a PWS piston upper for a while, but the price price is just out of reach now.

Anyone have either the Adams Arms Piston or Superlative Arms Piston conversion kits?

Curious as to anyone's experiences with both or either of them. Seems like an interesting concept for my 10.5" supressed upper.

Any feedback s greatly appreciated.

I can't speak to the Adams, but I have a Superlative on a 10.5" suppressed and a 16" unsuppressed. I really like them. On the suppressed, the rifle runs so much cleaner than the DI guns. I actually called them to ask if they would come out with a large frame system. I'd put one on my AR-10 if I could.

One point to note. The Superlative system is not designed to run full closed. If you shoot it full closed you can lock up the adjustment screw with copper fouling. And the system ships full closed (at least both of mine did). So if you miss the step to open up the adjustment screw..🙄 yeah I did that. The guys there were great though, and talked me through getting it running again.

On the AA side..... been running several for years in 7.5", 11", 14.5" and one in 16" and never had any trouble. Is cleaner when used with suppressor. A little carrier tilt has slightly marked the inside of the buffer tube even though they claim the carrier is designed to not cause any wear. Not really a problem but should be mentioned.

The biggest advantage is on the 7.5" as it makes this length totally reliable and can hit 8"x16" steel plate at 200yds all day long with a Vortex Prism red dot! All mine have been the conversion kits. No experience with the factory built uppers. You might notice a little weight gain from a DI gun but it's not that much. More reliable than DI? Probably not except the 7.5". They are fun though and interesting to run something different. Good Luck!

I can't speak to the Adams, but I have a Superlative on a 10.5" suppressed and a 16" unsuppressed. I really like them. On the suppressed, the rifle runs so much cleaner than the DI guns. I actually called them to ask if they would come out with a large frame system. I'd put one on my AR-10 if I could.

One point to note. The Superlative system is not designed to run full closed. If you shoot it full closed you can lock up the adjustment screw with copper fouling. And the system ships full closed (at least both of mine did). So if you miss the step to open up the adjustment screw..🙄 yeah I did that. The guys there were great though, and talked me through getting it running again.
Any issue with handguard clearance? How long have you been running that set up, round count?

Handguards are Daniel Defense Lite Rails (quads) or the FSP 9.5 on the SBRs. The cutout for the front sight is perfect for the AA gas block and extends the rail for a little more real estate. The 7.5 use the Samson Star 4 EX for the same reason. Been running them long enough that DD has redesigned their product. I do have a couple set up using the DD 2-piece FF rails and have had no problems even though they are not as strong as the Lite Rails.

As for round count...... I really don't know. I keep count on my precision rifles but not on the ARs! I can tell you that I do run them in FA every so often. No torture test with mine, just good actual shooting.

No clearance issues. I don't remember who's handguards I have on them, but they are pretty standard. The shorty has probably just over 2k, the 16" I just built for my wife this winter. It only has a couple hundred.

AA 11.jpg

Reactions: aku
This is the FSP on the 11.5" showing how the gas block fits in the rail and extends. Troy front sight folds down in front of the laser.

This is the FSP on the 11.5" showing how the gas block fits in the rail and extends. Troy front sight folds down in front of the laser.
That's pretty slick. Didn't the block was rail height. Interesting. Thanks for posting the picture.

No clearance issues. I don't remember who's handguards I have on them, but they are pretty standard. The shorty has probably just over 2k, the 16" I just built for my wife this winter. It only has a couple hundred.
That's a fair amount of rounds through it. Enough that I would think a problem would have come up, if there were goung to be any. I've got a 12.5" I am contemplating moving to a pistom set up. Hopefully my can arrives soon.

One thing worth mentioning is those looking at either setup for 300 Blackout, Adams is the only one that offers a lightweight BCG for cycling with subs.

I use AA for 12.5 proof 300 Blk pistol length with their voodoo NiB bcg and SA for everything else. Barrel nut compatibility is the main issue with AA which is why I only have one. You basically have to go with GI barrel nut rails because of the way its spring and guide sets up. I have the Fortis Rev II with Vseven Ti Gi barrel nut. I still had to cut the rail around the gas block for clearance but best rail I could find that was compatible. SA fits more rails but you still have to check clearance. My builds will consist mostly of SA piston or SA DI with vseven extreme environment gas tube. Their Ti di gas blocks are my favorite for DI builds

Reactions: Smitty192