• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Add 2.5 mil by changing zero?

jgobbels

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2007
Hoover, AL
Here's my problem guys-

I have 13 mil available and can run the gun out to around 1200 yards. I'm looking to have the ability to go 1400 yards and need about 2.5mil additional with my current setup.

I'm running:
AIAW .300 with Pic Rail
Premier 5-25
Badger Rings
200gr @ 2860 fps

I just wanted to stay away from the canted AW mount due to having to mill the mount to fit the Premier.

Anyone have experience in what if any additional up travel I might expect with changing to a 200 yard zero?

Before I just field test it and find out myself, I figured I'd tap the knowledge base here...

Thanks in advance~

John

Re: Add 2.5 mil by changing zero?

targets get REAL small and hard to see at 1400yd, unless you are shooting Brinks trucks.......save yourself the brain damage and hold over.....it works for many here

BR,

Kinda figured that might be the best option.... I'd rather leave it alone as I'll only have 1400 about twice a year.

Thanks for the quick reply-

J~

This is why the USO EREK is genius. You could shim the base in the rear and bed it for more slope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just wanted to stay away from the canted AW mount due to having to mill the mount to fit the Premier.
</div></div>

Tac Pro has the modified mounts for the Premier and Hensoldt. I just got mine and both the Hensoldt and PR clear nicely. beautifully machined and refinished, looks like they were made that way.

is your premier a single turn? Is that why you can't get my elevation? Or because your at the end of the scopes travel?

No its double turn but mounted on a pic rail and zeroed at 100 yards. I get 13mil which is enough to run it to 1200...

To get to the second turn I would need a canted base and just don't want to add that to my

JFG~

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is why the USO EREK is genius. You could shim the base in the rear and bed it for more slope. </div></div>

That's only going to help you if the turret is the problem. People keep referencing the EREK every time someone runs out of elevation. He's got a double turn premier, he's still got plenty of markings and turns on the turret, the problem is his reticle is bumping into the top of the tube because he's only got a flat base. All the EREKs in the world aren't going to magically add space in the tube for the reticle.

1200yds with a flat base is not exactly a fail on the part of the scope.

Ratbert is correct. I was very surprised that I was able to get about 43 MOA of up elevation and 1.3 moa of down when I mounted it on a flat base.

My previous glass was a 3.8-22 USO w/EREK and it only gave me 37 MOA of up elevation.

I was very happy with the EREK but wanted to try the 5-25 and I'm still very pleased to be able to run to 1200 yards using the setup I wanted.

JFG~