• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Add a sling swivel...

Slowstang

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2009
Sacramento, CA
I just purchased a SPS-Tactical and it only has one sling swivel which will be used to attach a bipod. I would like to use a sling as well (not just to carry the rifle). Any ideas of how to go about this? I cant just buy another stock, Im looking to add a swivel to factory stock.

Re: Add a sling swivel...

Sorry Dude... Didn't know if there was a difference in aftermarket sling swivels vs. the stock ones that came with it...

Both (all 3?? I think I've got three rifles with bipods now) have sling swivels on the bottom of the bipod. I attach the bipod to the front sling swivel and then put the sling on the swivel under/on the bipod.

As far as sling swivels go, for me it depends on what I'm doing (the rifle, the stock, etc.).

My 10/22 (factory stock with an extended butt plate on it to help it fit my long arms) has a 1&1/4" GI web sling on it (Appleseed you know). I used an M14 front sling swivel and US M1917 Enfield rear sling swivel. This gives me two really stout sling swivels that also look good on the rifle stock.

If I do anymore wood stocks I'll use either US Enfield or 03 Springfield rear swivels on them (just looks way stouter to me vs. the little screw in studs).

If you install one yourself be sure to do enough measuring marking to get it where you want it the first time and get it straight. You don't want a sling swivel stud sticking out at an angle or off center of the barrel channel/bottom of the stock.

Good luck with it.

Oh, I missed what type of stock you had. Be sure you buy the right type of stud. Synthetic stocks and wood stocks usually use different types depending on how the barrel channel is made.

Thanks for all the good comments and help.

Forest12, it's all good man, I appreciate your help as well.

Its a Remington SPS Tactical, so a synthetic stock. It comes from factory with a swivel on the fore-end of the stock as well as one on the butt of the stock.

Sorry for asking the dumb new guy question. I am that, a new guy. I appreciate all the help I get from this site and its' members.

As for a sling I am looking at the TAB slings because they seem to quick to get into and out of as well as durable.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Sorry, I should have added that I originally wanted to add just one sling swivel to the front, should i change out all the swivels? Is there and advantage to this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81Z4ME</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both (all 3?? I think I've got three rifles with bipods now) have sling swivels on the bottom of the bipod. I attach the bipod to the front sling swivel and then put the sling on the swivel under/on the bipod.

As far as sling swivels go, for me it depends on what I'm doing (the rifle, the stock, etc.).

</div></div>

Ahh I get it, I've seen the light. So I can attach the sling to the bipod so I only need one swivel. Right? My goal is to shoot some Tactical competitions with the good ole Nor-Cal guys. And after lots and lots of practice go to the PR1/PR2 classes at R.O.

if it's a harris, or even a harris knockoff, the usually have 1 and sometimes 2 places to connect the sling built into the design. 1 is on the arms that clamp onto the stuc on the stock, and are directly behind the tightening knob.

the other is located on the backside on pivot models(facing the shooter), a round pertrusion with a hole in it.

you don't attach a swivel stud to the bipod.

http://www.harrisbipods.com/

22_mag_desert_camo_BIPOD_VIEWJPG.jpg

22MAG_DESERT_CONCAVEJPG.jpg

i have 5 studs on this one, for regular shoulder or at the ready side mounting. studs cost 4.99 for 2 at dick's sporting goods, takes about 6 minutes to put one in, including setup of the drill, finding an extension cord and the correct drill bit.
MKIIF042.jpg