• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Addicted to Accuracy...

oneshot onekill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
DeBary, Florida
Well... It's official. I am most definitely completely and irreversibly addicted to accuracy. I once had a relatively respectable collection of firearms. Now, if it's a bolt-gun and doesn't shoot 1/2MOA or better it's no longer in my collection! I now have only 2 bolt-action rifles where there was once 2 dozen! Both 7.62X51... What's become of me?! Its just not fun to shoot something that doesn't hit exactly where I aim it! I can't even look at a Browning or a weatherby! And god forbid a Ruger!!! I even snub my nose at the Old Faithful '03!!! Mausers, Mosin Nagants and Arisakas don't get a second look! I NEED HELP!!!
eek.gif

Can anyone relate???

Or better yet... Can anyone NOT relate?

Re: Addicted to Accuracy...

fully agree i have sold off most of my collection to fund mods on my bolt guns. Even sold a nice ar 10 cause it wouldnt shoot sub moa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a_bishop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fully agree i have sold off most of my collection to fund mods on my bolt guns. Even sold a nice ar 10 cause it wouldnt shoot sub moa </div></div>

I was about to buy and AR10...But this has discouraged me...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a_bishop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fully agree i have sold off most of my collection to fund mods on my bolt guns. Even sold a nice ar 10 cause it wouldnt shoot sub moa </div></div>

I was about to buy and AR10...But this has discouraged me... </div></div>

dont let it change your mind. I loved the gun (dpms sass) but it was better for blasting and fast fire than its pin point accuracy. It wasnt inaccurate by any means but it was no bolt gun.

I am in love with the new GAP, but I haven't thrown my old loves out into the snow. I still have too many happy memories involving those M1As (and too much money sunk into accurizing them). And too many horns on the wall courtesy of the Browning BBR 7 Mag. And too many dead prairie dogs at the hands of the Ruger No. 1.

I will admit that after shooting the OBR, I am wondering why in the hell that old Mini-14 is still taking up room in the safe. But who knows, I might need a throw-down gun some day.

Can anyone relate???

Yes I can, I have been through 5 different bolt rifles in the last two years .... but I now have one that shoots better than me......:)

im with you! accuracy is everything my ebr doesnt get shot past 5 times at the range because thats when the bbl heats up and throws bullets out of a 1in group. i love putting 10 308 bullets into the center of my target and it looking like one nasty edged hole

Can relate sameway. Shoot my Remington 5r more than anything now.
smile.gif

iF YOU REALLY TRULY LOVE ACCURATE RIFLES SHOOT A 6PPC. yOU WILL BE RUINED FOR LIFE!! lEE

OP your are 100% right. Even most factory Remingtons can't hack it as they are hugely over rated and sub par once you have had the taste of custom rifles. For me, the bolt guns better shoot sub half moa or the shit is out the door! And fortunately all my auto loaders (5.56 ARs) that I shoot regularly are 1.5 or better shooters with shit ammo.

X-1 here I see a lot of people with expensive guns shooting so so ammo and think nothing of it. I look at it like buying Bentley and filling up at the Jackpot station and wondering why it runs bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango__Down</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OP your are 100% right. Even most factory Remingtons can't hack it as they are hugely over rated and sub par once you have had the taste
f custom rifles. For me, the bolt guns better shoot sub half moa or the shit is out the door! And fortunately all my auto loaders (5.56 ARs) that I shoot regularly are 1.5 or better shooters with shit ammo. </div></div>

I can somewhat relate. I know the feeling. I have a precision bolt action and am working on a precision semi auto platform both in 7.62. You just have to realize that some firearms will give the accuracy depending on their intended use. I will admit I do not get the dime size groups with my Mauser but then again I am not running a scope on the Mauser. Just apply your fundamentals of precision shooting to your battle type rifles (AR, AK, '03s, etc) and you will be happy.

I have always liked accuracy, but now that I have gone on this site and started roll my own down to the fine line? I am totally OCD now! I'm ready to sell my blood to get upgrades! Lol!

I have been an accuracy nut for a long time. If a gun, no matter what it is, won't shoot better than me, it's history.
Adding my first GAP made it even worse. I'm now looking at getting rid of my 2 Tikka 223's since they are only just under 1 MOA rifles.
One of my problems now is an HS Precision 308. With FGGM it is a <1/2MOA rifle. I can't get a handload even close. With my other precision rifles, my handload out shoot factory loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">iF YOU REALLY TRULY LOVE ACCURATE RIFLES SHOOT A 6PPC. yOU WILL BE RUINED FOR LIFE!! lEE</div></div> LOL + 1, nothing comes close to a well built 6ppc.

yeah Ive got the bug pretty bad myself.....its just so fun to see one hole in your target after shooting 5 times
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildcats</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">iF YOU REALLY TRULY LOVE ACCURATE RIFLES SHOOT A 6PPC. yOU WILL BE RUINED FOR LIFE!! lEE</div></div> LOL + 1, nothing comes close to a well built 6ppc. </div></div>

Yeah,I've been ruined as well.When working up loads on a 6ppc that I had bought used,the worst 5 shot group out of "many" was 1/2 MOA.My fault I'm sure.

Unfortunately I've only had one tactical rifle,or I should say barrel in (6x47L),that's come close to routinely doing .2 MOA groups.That was short lived from throat erosion.It was easy winning a 100Y practical precision event with it back then.Not so any more with the last two barrels.Thankfully 1/2 MOA works pretty good for most long range shooting.

Not really. I love precision shooting, its probably my all around favorite type of shooting. But I love my M4, I want to build a Mk18, I want an M14. I love to shoot my Glock 19. Shooting my 870 is fun.

It's all good.

I hear ya and can relate to how you feel. What you are going through now i found out 25 years ago. It's all good.

Was it P.O. Ackley who said the only inteesting rifle is an accurate one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was it P.O. Ackley who said the only inteesting rifle is an accurate one? </div></div>

It may have been Col. Whelen that said that.

If my rifles will not shoot at least 1/3 moa, then I feel that I have no need for them, two of mine have helped me attain four national records.. not getting rid of them anytime soon.