• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Addiction checkup - How many firearms do you own?

prairiefire

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
Nebraska
Here i find myself ruminating. 3 years ago I owned 0 firearms. Got concerned about protecting my castle and purchased an 870 - went totally downhill from there - took a concealed carry class, plus several defensive and LR shooting tutorials and now own two rimfires, a sweet TacOps .308, 3 - 45's, a 9mm sig and a Scar 16 and am already lusting after more. How bad is your addiction?

Re: Addiction checkup - How many firearms do you o

LOL - love it that the unofficial Utah armory is alive and well!

Re: Addiction checkup - How many firearms do you own?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Enough to make the 5:00 news</div></div>

That's hardcore...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prairiefire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here i find myself ruminating. 3 years ago I owned 0 firearms. Got concerned about protecting my castle and purchased an 870 - went totally downhill from there - took a concealed carry class, plus several defensive and LR shooting tutorials and now own two rimfires, a sweet TacOps .308, 3 - 45's, a 9mm sig and a Scar 16 and am already lusting after more. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">How bad is your addiction? </span></span></div></div>

Put it this way! Too many guns and not enough money.
smile.gif

cant ever have to many, I have guns for all occasions

Got back into guns after I got rid of the ex-wife last december. It started with an SKS, then a Taurus 24-7, then a remmy 700 sps, then a savage fcp, then a beretta px4, then a winchester model 1200, then a glock 19, then a beretta extrema II, then a savage FCP-k 308, then a S&W MP15-22, then a P3AT, then a PF-9, then a kimber stainless target II, then a savage FCP-k 223, and tomorrow I pick up my savage 110 BA...15 guns in 8 months - yeah, I guess I'm addicted!

I can only justify buying guns for a specific purpose. That is probably why I do not have an AR-15 or AK-47 yet. Just can't justify it. My guns all have a purpose:

Remington 870 12 guage: Turkey, bird, rabbit, and home defense shotgun. Just change out the tube or the # shot.

Sig Sauer P229 .40: Home defense, fun range gun, truck gun sometimes.

Kel-Tech P32 .32 cal: Mouse gun, great for concealed carry.

Remington 700 XCR .270: My beloved all-weather hunting rifle for pretty much any North American game animal, anywhere.

Marlin .22: First gun ever, makes a great plinking gun, squirrel gun, and to teach the kids with.

Remington 700P .308: My range/tactical/ fun gun/ money pit. :)

These 6 guns cover all of my bases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Enough to make the 5:00 news </div></div>

laugh.gif
Ditto.

my answer echos stan's and is just under DD

Due to my limited budget, I can't justify having to many different guns. I've cycled through a few. But never owned more than maybe 5-6 at a time. I'm currently down to my AR, shotgun, M700 and M&P. Story of my life.

I own sixteen.

Shotguns. Not counting my girlfriend's.

I hit what will probably be my peak in total number of firearms last year, but I have been thinning the herd in favor of quality over quantity. Hence, trading two rifles and a revolver for my Steyr SBS Tactical. The process continues.

I been at it since 1979, I have 29 at the moment I cannot tell you how many I have sold, getting married really f***k me up.

VPD of a deployed Infantry Marine
3/7 Lima Co. Delaram Afghanistan

Always need just one more. Not only guns but ammo too.

Well since my divorce almost two years ago, I have had to buy a larger gun -safe..

Enough that your average liberal media freak would refer to it as an "arsenal" or "stockpile" of "assault weapons".

However most of the folks I know would just consider it a "good start".

Quality over quantity. If I was going to quantity I could have bought for or five SPS-T's for what I just paid for my latest and greatest addition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USN_Sam1385</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can only justify buying guns for a specific purpose.</div></div>

All of my firearms have a specific purpose......my enjoyment.

The fact that some of them are work tools us just added value.

All of mine were lost in a tragic boating accident in the Gulf of Mexico.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Well I am still fairly young at 26 so I ahe some time to catch up to you pros. 34 is my number. From 7 handguns to 8 shotguns to 4 rimfires to 11 bolt guns to 2 lever action guns to 2 pump guns. Oops I forgot about grandpas pristine 1941 Johnson semi auto hand me down. The prize of the collection for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USN_Sam1385</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can only justify buying guns for a specific purpose. That is probably why I do not have an AR-15 or AK-47 yet. Just can't justify it. My guns all have a purpose: </div></div>

Doing you a favor: You need one of those for Zombies. You can now go buy one guiltfree.

Not enough, you never have enough!!!
I have a nice mental list of firearms I still would like!
4883477484_e96cb3dc11_b.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Quality over quantity. </div></div>

truer words have never been spoken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Enough that your average liberal media freak would refer to it as an "arsenal" or "stockpile" of "assault weapons".

However most of the folks I know would just consider it a "good start".

Quality over quantity. </div></div>

truer words have never been spoken. </div></div>

Too bad when I was young I really didn't have anybody to point me really into the quality range.

My "arsenal" has both quality and quantity, with lots of stuff to make em go boom as well. I'll never have enough, though, IMHO. Thank God we live in the USofA, even post 11-08.

You don't even want to know...... haha

Antiques or ones that we use a lot? Thats a big determining factor

i use to have 27 rifles, 12 shotguns, 17 pistols. never had enough time to give them all attention, plus add in the "extras" and ammo, was just too much to have good quality setups.

sold most of them, and put the proceeds to better quality glass, stocks, triggers, etc.

now i have less than a dozen combined, BUT of a higher quality breed and accessories / glass.

10 or so currently. Just sold off a bunch that weren't getting used in the forseeable future.

13 total at one time but i had to buy or sell and i cant recall which way i went with that. shit, i gotta count now. i went up one.

When you start having guns built it only gets worse, but in a good way. If i buy something off the shelf it already has a make over coming to it before i even leave out the doors with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Enough that your average liberal media freak would refer to it as an "arsenal" or "stockpile" of "assault weapons".

However most of the folks I know would just consider it a "good start".</div></div>

Ditto.

I had plenty when I got laid off in Dec '08 and its been downhill from there. Plus I used to be more of a "collector that shoots" and now am more of a "shooter that collects". All of mine now have a purpose, and if they don't function accurately they don;t stick around.
I do know that my "go to" boltgun's scope alone could get me 5 or 6 complete setups of what I was running when I got here.....

More than I need and less than I want... Each having a purpose, and more to come. Personal/home protection, hunting, and fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't even want to know...... haha

Antiques or ones that we use a lot? Thats a big determining factor </div></div>

I can only imagine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3 with the 4th on the way and then I'm done.... quality over quantity. </div></div>

Do not say "I'm done"...Thats a sad thought.

By the way......4

Quality>Quantity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3 with the 4th on the way and then I'm done.... quality over quantity. </div></div>

I have to partially disagree. If you are only into one type of gun--handguns, rifles, shotguns--the very short list might be appropriate. If you are only interested in one sort of shooting--tactical, race, precision, clays--a few quality guns may cover your bases. I don't claim that I absolutely need every gun I own, but even when you take away the antiques and heirlooms, I've got far more than five of each: rifles, handguns and shotguns. They simply don't do the same things.

A Glock 20 is a great woods gun, but too big for most people to carry all day. A Saiga 12 is a fine fighting or 3-gun shotgun, but nowhere near optimal for sporting clays. An AI in .338 Lapua is a great long-range gun but you wouldn't want to clear a room with it. Based on the practical and recreational uses I have for my guns, I think I can say that I would lose a great deal of utility if I went below twelve guns. I would lose a significant amount of utility if I went below twenty.

The "standard" for a "personal arsenal" as I've seen reproduced in various media is a shotgun, a centerfire rifle, a rimfire rifle and a centerfire hadngun. Each of these performs a function none of the others can. Now, add a .22 pistol for practice, a sporting or HD shotgun (depending on what you started with), a light ("assault") or precision rifle (again, based on what you envisioned being part of your original four), and a compact or full-sized handgun (ibid). That is eight, and I think good arguments can be made for a large-bore revolver, a "trunk" gun and, depending on your social outlook, some redundancy in the collection.

Now, if you have no interest in hunting or shooting clays, cannot carry a handgun or simply are only interested in specific guns, I understand your list being shorter. If the choice is between quality and quantity, I think it is best to strike a balance. No matter how nice your Nighthawk 1911 is, it doesn't arm you and your buddy. Still, owning three Glocks is better than owning ten Hi Points. The middle path is best in the beginning because it gives you breathing room to trade up without postponing skill development.

The point of my rant is that the OP should not feel "excessive" if he sits down to list what he "needs" (or at least has utility for) ten or twelve guns. Five guns works for some people; it doesn't come close to covering my bases.

I don't know what you are talking about: I don't own any firearms; firearms are inherently evil.
laugh.gif

Seriously, though, who cares how many? Numbers simply don't matter: I use them for sport and wouldn't wish to harm anyone with any of them.

Not as many as I would if firearms were my only expensive hobby.... Damn $800 flyrods !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know what you are talking about: I don't own any firearms; firearms are inherently evil.
laugh.gif

</div></div>

I heard they kill people.
smile.gif

I stopped counting when I bought my 3rd safe. I have however counted my rounds once and don't plan on it again. (within a couple hundred).

I have enough powder to launch my pad into space!
I have enough ammo to get any job done and done well.

Sad part is that I am not a ammo/powder hoarder, it just happens!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FlySolo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not as many as I would if firearms were my only expensive hobby.... Damn $800 flyrods ! </div></div>

Tell me about it. I was shopping around for lenses for my Canon DSLR. I kept thinking about the badass rifle scopes I could buy for the same coin. A S&B PMII would be a lot more fun than a prime lens for the camera.

I'd have more if I hadn't discovered how much I loved G. Loomis rods, Galvan and Ross Reels... For the price I've paid this year alone in Fly rods, my reels, line and my new king salmon pole I would be sitting pretty with an AI .338 and a S&B topping it off.

I'm possibly one of the youngest here at 19 and I have just begun collecting all the firearms I 'think' I need. I am still missing my bear shotgun, a CC pistol, an ELR rifle and a few purpose built hunting rifles (mainly light weight in 2 maybe 3 different calibers with suppresors). Unfortuneately I don't have room at my current place to expand upon the collection. However I wouldn't make the 5:00 news, maybe the late edition though.

7 rifles. 8 pistols. 8 shotguns. If I'm counting
correctly. Been selling a bunch lately and upgrading.

Keithr41

who do you work for? is this like a firearm census or do you work for government? To answer your question, enough to raise some hell if called for.