• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Adding a Freeland Rail?

jacq220

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have this rail off of a Remington 40x wood stock from the CMP. I am considering putting it on a McMillan HTG. It was originally held on w/ some wood screws, but they are VERY chewed up from getting them out.

First question, is what do I need to measure to know if I have a freeland or anshutz rail.

second, what would be the best way of attaching it to the new stock once the groove is milled out.

I am not sure that they would sit flush inside of the rail... Here is a picture of one of the countersunk screws that was holding it into the wood stock.

and a picture of what your recommending. I don't know the screw head size on these to know if they would interfere w/ the stuff I would put on the rail or not.....

Last edited:
I believe you can use any screw that would fit, should be std size. Important bit is to use the T-nut, otherwise you´re going to rip the rail out of the stock sooner or later.