• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Adding a Picatinny Rail to a McMilllan stock

madd0c

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2010
South Carolina
Ok, I just got an Atlas bipod for my 338LM. It is in a McMillan A5.

I am definitely not a smith, but I would like to add a short length of pic rail to the fore end of the stock. It has a sling stud there, and I purchased the Acushot 3.35" 1913 rail kit that fits over the existing stud as well as the Acushot rail mounting fastener set to put the rail on.

Before I start drilling in a bedded $500 stock i wanted to check with knowledgable members here if there are things i need to be careful of or aware of when drilling this stock.

I would love to get a qualified smith to install the rail, but where I live there are none within a 90 minute drive I would trust to do the job.

My plan is to mount the stock in a vise and use a drill press. The fastener set is this one:

BT1517----NUT1.jpg

The nuts have spikes on them. Do I need to drive the nuts into the stock prior to screwing the rail on, or will the screw tension sink the nuts into the stock?

This seems like a simple enough job, but I sure don't want to screw up my stock.

Thanks in advance,
madd0c

Re: Adding a Picatinny Rail to a McMilllan stock

deadly, thank you for that link.

Sorry i should have used the google search for this topic.

Everyone else can go ahead and insult my poor search skills.

Thanks again,
madd0c

Re: Adding a Picatinny Rail to a McMilllan stock

I would NEVER do like that.

I see it as of greatest advantaget to have the bipod IN FRONT of the stock instead of underneat it.
When it's underneath the stock it's always in the way for the left hand, when shooting other positions than prone.
So Why not bed the rail into the stock, but in a way so it protuds in front of it.

Here is how I have made a picatinny rail and put into my TRG 42. That is of course easyer as the Sako has a aluchassis, but there is still not any problem to do it on an A5.

Regards Håkan

img4b452a0eb69e9.jpg

img49555f18c1eef.jpg