• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adding a rail to a Tikka T1X factory stock

pnwkiwi

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2020
Someone recently was asking about adding a rail to a Tikka T1X factory stock (yeah, I know ... KRG Bravo) and since this turned out to be a little more tricky than I was expecting I figured I would post a quick howto for anyone else wanting to make this mod. I chose a Seekins SRS rail because I wanted to keep traditional sling swivel fittings. I briefly thought about adding a Grovtec bolt-through flush cup to the rear of the stock and going with a B&T rail but I liked that the Seekins SRS has a lower profile. The main issue with the Tikka stock is the interior cross bracing that limits your options lengthwise if you want to utilize the front sling swivel stud mount.

1.jpg

But ... the 3" Seekins rail has just enough wiggle room in the front slot that you can make it work. Given that the stock base is pretty thin, I also wanted a decent bearing surface for a fastener. By using an M10 nylok flange nut slid as far forward as you can go in the rearmost cavity and relieving the rail bolt slot a tiny amount (a fine round file and 400 grit wet and dry paper are your friends here) you can make it work. I used the nut as guide for a center punch and drilled a small pilot hole from the top of the stock (making sure it was level in a gun vise) through the stock and beavertail fore-end I had previously installed.

Flipping the stock over I then drilled and tapped the hole for M5. Normally I would use a drill press for this but couldn't easily source a 4.2mm bit and M5 tap. Home Depot had combination bits however and, provided you use an impact driver on the slowest setting and are careful reversing the bit out, they work exceptionally well. If I add a Titan cheek rest I'll use this method again.

2.jpg

3.jpg

The next issue is that the Seekins rail has a curved profile on the back and the Tikka beavertail fore-end is basically flat. Even the bare stock does not have a small enough radius for the rail to sit with a sufficient amount of surface area contacting the stock. Your choice of epoxy here (I only had JB Weld or a 72 hour slow cure variety on hand so JB Weld it was ...). I made a dam at each end of the rail with duct tape and floated the epoxy with a Stanley knife / box cutter blade on a level surface.

4.jpg

Four hours later the tape was removed and some excess epoxy trimmed off.

5.jpg

The epoxy is still pliable at this point so it is easy to clean up and will conform to any irregularities in the stock during final cure. Nothing should stick to the synthetic material but I wiped on a little Ballistol as a precaution.

6.jpg

I'll let it cure fully overnight and then add a little Vibratite threadlocker to the bolts. Job done.

Hope this helps anyone else looking to do this ...

Cheers.

Last edited:
I had asked about this. Ended up going with the Caldwell Pic Adaptor. For what it is, it actually works well, but thanks for the tutorial. If I stay factory I will likely come back here and follow your advice.

Reactions: pnwkiwi
I had asked about this. Ended up going with the Caldwell Pic Adaptor. For what it is, it actually works well, but thanks for the tutorial. If I stay factory I will likely come back here and follow your advice.

You're welcome. I have gotten so much good info from this place in the short time I have been here I figured that the least I could do was post this up.

Reactions: slickalaus12
Someone recently was asking about adding a rail to a Tikka T1X factory stock (yeah, I know ... KRG Bravo) and since this turned out to be a little more tricky than I was expecting I figured I would post a quick howto for anyone else wanting to make this mod. I chose a Seekins SRS rail because I wanted to keep traditional sling swivel fittings. I briefly thought about adding a Grovtec bolt-through flush cup to the rear of the stock and going with a B&T rail but I liked that the Seekins SRS has a lower profile. The main issue with the Tikka stock is the interior cross bracing that limits your options lengthwise if you want to utilize the front sling swivel stud mount.

View attachment 7439713

But ... the 3" Seekins rail has just enough wiggle room in the front slot that you can make it work. Given that the stock base is pretty thin, I also wanted a decent bearing surface for a fastener. By using an M10 nylok flange nut slid as far forward as you can go in the rearmost cavity and relieving the rail bolt slot a tiny amount (a fine round file and 400 grit wet and dry paper are your friends here) you can make it work. I used the nut as guide for a center punch and drilled a small pilot hole from the top of the stock (making sure it was level in a gun vise) through the stock and beavertail fore-end I had previously installed.

Flipping the stock over I then drilled and tapped the hole for M5. Normally I would use a drill press for this but couldn't easily source a 4.2mm bit and M5 tap. Home Depot had combination bits however and, provided you use an impact driver on the slowest setting and are careful reversing the bit out, they work exceptionally well. If I add a Titan cheek rest I'll use this method again.

View attachment 7439717

View attachment 7439718

The next issue is that the Seekins rail has a curved profile on the back and the Tikka beavertail fore-end is basically flat. Even the bare stock does not have a small enough radius for the rail to sit with a sufficient amount of surface area contacting the stock. Your choice of epoxy here (I only had JB Weld or a 72 hour slow cure variety on hand so JB Weld it was ...). I made a dam at each end of the rail with duct tape and floated the epoxy with a Stanley knife / box cutter blade on a level surface.

View attachment 7439720

Four hours later the tape was removed and some excess epoxy trimmed off.

View attachment 7439721

The epoxy is still pliable at this point so it is easy to clean up and will conform to any irregularities in the stock during final cure. Nothing should stick to the synthetic material but I wiped on a little Ballistol as a precaution.

View attachment 7439724

I'll let it cure fully overnight and then add a little Vibratite threadlocker to the bolts. Job done.

Hope this helps anyone else looking to do this ...

Cheers.
Did you use m5 screws for both holes? I have a tikka UPR stock with 2 sling studs and i wonder if i can use m5 screws