• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adding adjustable butt to an McM stock

Advokaten

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2007
Malmö, Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
Guys

I have a Sako with a McM varmint stock on it, a lot like a HTG stock,

well I am having issues with stock heel slip and also some recoil management problems when prone,

I take the recoil on a small part of my skinny assed shoulder and I would like to have the centerline of the stock higher up.

Soooo

the Big question is can I have a adjustable butt reotrofitted on my stock and secondly would I benefit the way I belive I would by having that adjustability.

Advice me please on both these issues.

Best regards Chris

Re: Adding adjustable butt to an McM stock

It may seem counterproductive, but if I were going to mod a McM stock, first thing I'd do is talk to McM about it. They do very good work; and in the end, I think it's the best and most hassle-free way to get such work done. They did a pillar bedding job on my A3 that is simply a work of art.

Adjustability is most useful for shooting in many positions. If all you're doing is prone, maybe it would pay to get the stock optimized for that position and leave it. Me I'd get the adjustments. My crystal ball is cloudy; and who knows, maybe some day I might want to shoot other positions.

Greg

Greg- thanks for replying in my thread,

had I lived in the US, things would have been just so straightforward as you suggest,

living in Sweden, things are slightly different, however after talking to Diana at McM,

things cleared, yes it can be done, no they have no one too do it in Europe or Sweden.

So it´s either a X months project of having it sent back and forth or holding off.

This is my do it all rig and I cannot afford to have it/mee shoot at it´s best, I am currently shooting against a ton of TRG:s and AI:s as well as a few tricked out Rem 700:s,

I hunt, shot prone at UKD and just goof around trying to hit small stuff.

Ohh well to be sorted at a later date, thanks for your input, solid advice as always.

/Chris

Swedish Guy,
Actually, that is just what our two-way adjustable butt plate is for. It just moves up and down, and lets you adjust the drop at heel to 1/4" or 1/2" or so for prone shooting, or drop it down to 1" to 1 1/4" or so for offhand or setting positions.
It's two dovetailed aluminum plates with a 1/2" recoil pad on it. It is made oversize, and is glued and screwed onto the butt of the stock, and then ground to fit the contour and stock lines on a belt sander or disk sander, and then buffed or polished up a bit. Any compent local gunsmith should be able to do this for you, or anyone who is "handy" at doing things themselves and has access to a belt sander should be able to do it.
The price for them is the same as if we install it, $116 plus shipping, but it saves a lot of shippig and time.
It is not adjustable for length of pull, so be sure to cut the stock for the finished LOP you want when installing it.
Dick at McMillans

Dick- thanks for your swift and direct information,

I am now jsut waiting for my taxreturn to invest in some nice stuff, that will include a two-way adjustable butt plate and a moderator for my rifle,

I think that I and it deserves that.

Thanks all/Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swedish Guy,
Actually, that is just what our two-way adjustable butt plate is for. It just moves up and down, and lets you adjust the drop at heel to 1/4" or 1/2" or so for prone shooting, or drop it down to 1" to 1 1/4" or so for offhand or setting positions.
It's two dovetailed aluminum plates with a 1/2" recoil pad on it. It is made oversize, and is glued and screwed onto the butt of the stock, and then ground to fit the contour and stock lines on a belt sander or disk sander, and then buffed or polished up a bit. Any compent local gunsmith should be able to do this for you, or anyone who is "handy" at doing things themselves and has access to a belt sander should be able to do it.
The price for them is the same as if we install it, $116 plus shipping, but it saves a lot of shippig and time.
It is not adjustable for length of pull, so be sure to cut the stock for the finished LOP you want when installing it.
Dick at McMillans</div></div>

For prone, I usually need to come up with the butt plate to get a low gun position. Of course, for such a position, a fore-end rail with hand stop is necessary. I also like a three-way butt plate, as, often, some cant is necessary to assure the rifle is square without excerting any muscular effort.