• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adding Arca rail to a3-5

03machstock

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2021
Pennsylvania
Looking to add a full length Arca rail in place of my pic rail on my McMillan a3-5 to mount to a tripod, bipod, etc. I was leaning towards area 419 and I could fit a 10” before the little kick down to the bottom metal. I saw they make a spacer for a manners t6 that has a similar size bump based off pictures, If that fit and I used the action screw I could fit a 12”. Anyone know if that spacer would fit or could be easily modified to fit? Would using the action screw to mount the back of the Arca rail effect accuracy when clamping in and out and banging off of barricades? Should I say screw it and just mount the 10” on the flat part?

Attachments

• IMG_1118.jpeg
    IMG_1118.jpeg
    495.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1120.jpeg
    IMG_1120.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1121.jpeg
    IMG_1121.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1119.jpeg
    IMG_1119.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 78
I've added Arca rails, with and without the stepdown, that used longer action screws that went through the rail. One rifle turned out great and shot the same as before the the rail. The other rifle had terrible accuracy afterwards and I ended up taking the rail off. If I were in your position, I would add t-nuts to the stock and use a rail that stops before the step down.

Good question! I had been wondering about adding an arca rail to my A5. Probably want to go full length rail tho'. Then purchase a tripod.

Reactions: 03machstock
I've added Arca rails, with and without the stepdown, that used longer action screws that went through the rail. One rifle turned out great and shot the same as before the the rail. The other rifle had terrible accuracy afterwards and I ended up taking the rail off. If I were in your position, I would add t-nuts to the stock and use a rail that stops before the step down.
This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

I’ve been looking at the same thing. I have decided on a 12 inch and just allow the excess to stick out the front, which will ultimately allow to push bipod out a touch further. Or like you said , you could just cut it.

I’ve been looking at the same thing. I have decided on a 12 inch and just allow the excess to stick out the front, which will ultimately allow to push bipod out a touch further. Or like you said , you could just cut it.
I ordered the 10” as the hinging over look hasn’t grown on me yet. If I don’t like the 10” I’ll order the 12 and do the same and just throw the 10” on something else.

Reactions: UNKBOLTGUNGUY
Looking to add a full length Arca rail in place of my pic rail on my McMillan a3-5 to mount to a tripod, bipod, etc. I was leaning towards area 419 and I could fit a 10” before the little kick down to the bottom metal. I saw they make a spacer for a manners t6 that has a similar size bump based off pictures, If that fit and I used the action screw I could fit a 12”. Anyone know if that spacer would fit or could be easily modified to fit? Would using the action screw to mount the back of the Arca rail effect accuracy when clamping in and out and banging off of barricades? Should I say screw it and just mount the 10” on the flat part?
Did you ever end up proceeding with this? How'd it turn out?

Did you ever end up proceeding with this? How'd it turn out?
Turned out good, it’s still a hair awkward to me grabbing it on the forend now just because something is there and wasn’t before, but I like it for the mounting options it opened up. I’ll take a few pics later and post them if your interested.

Turned out good, it’s still a hair awkward to me grabbing it on the forend now just because something is there and wasn’t before, but I like it for the mounting options it opened up. I’ll take a few pics later and post them if your interested.
Yeah that'd be great!