• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Adding detachable mag to a SAKO action

barrysuperhawk

Proud Member of the WFTDTSG club
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2007
Central Illinois
I hope my google-fu is weak but I haven't found what I am looking for. I have a .308 rifle that is built off of a Sako action and I would like to add a detachable magazine to it. I haven't found any Sako kits, so plan B is to figure out what existing magazine conversion kits are closest to what I have so as to possibly minimize the hacking required. Oddly enough, none of the pros have the time of day to look at my rifle, so until I can define the terms very sharply, this is a WECSOG project. If it turns out that I need part X milled to Y specification, that's alot easier to convince the local gunhax to do.

I realize this is a major undertaking, and am prepared for the gunsmithing. My question is measurements. The rifle I am installing this on is a SAKO action with a blind box magazine in .308. My theory is that all .308 rifles have to be similar in their magazine dimensions and feeding angles, so I should just have to do some fitting rather than re-inventing the wheel. My problem is that I don't have other rifles to compare dimensions with to figure out which existing design is closest to what I already have in the SAKO.

So, can you help me? Obviously if anyone here has tinkered with a SAKO action before and has suggestions as to what either might or won't fit, I would seriously appreciate it. I am hoping you can help me cut down on the trial and error part of this project.

Re: Adding detachable mag to a SAKO action

What Sako action is it?

It might be a long shot, but McMillan inlets for the Sako M995 action. I believe they also inlet for the Sako 75 action. I know they also supply new bottom metal for the M995 action, not sure about the Sako 75. The M995 used to come in 308 caliber when Sako built TRG-S rifles.

Sako mags are still available for both actions, maybe McMillan could hook you up with the required bottom metal parts?

All kinds of Sako/Tikka mags

I'm also wondering if a Tikka T3 magazine and bottom metal would work?

Re: Adding detachable mag to a SAKO action

You may want to hit up Pete Lincoln with Roedale Precision. He mentioned that he was working on some things for Sako actions, not sure on what his timeline is for those projects though.

-pd