• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns adding Leupold RMR to 1911 and Sig P226

spotswood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Florida
I have a custom Volkmann 1911 with High Heine sights that are fitted into a dovetail. I have a Sig P226 Tactical that is identical. Both gins have high sights to clear the suppressors.
I am considering adding a Leupold RMR (RM07) dual illuminated adjustable dot to both. It is more common to remove the fixed sight and place the Leopold in its place or mill the top slide to accept the RMR in front of the fixed rear sight?
IN a few pictures on this site I noticed that the red dot sights were placed in front of the rear fixed sight.
Is it worth changing over to a red dot for a combat pistol? Have I chosen the correct model with the adjustable dot?
Thanks

Re: adding Leupold RMR to 1911 and Sig P226

If I were to do it, I would put the RDS in front of the rear irons. Somewhere on the interwebs, I seem to remember a really good discussion on this involving DocGKR (Dr. Gary Roberts)...wish I could find it.

Search on Unity Tactical and their ATOM mount. It's pretty sweet. It allows you to run an aimpoint t-1/h-1 or an rmr or whatever else on the same pistol. If you PM me I'll hook you up with the guy that does all their design and implementation.

First, you need to post pics of that sweet volkmann. Those are great 1911s. Second, if you are set on doing it I would go with the sig, just in case you dont care for it. When it comes to handguns, I am iron sights threw and threw. Those RMR sights are sweet but for me the slow me down, I am sure that wouod change with practice but I would take a good set of Heinie sights over an RMR any day. Just a personal pref though.