• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Adding LOP to Remington 40X repeater.

15.5 is a long stock. Have you even shot the rifle like it is?? I am not saying you don't need more length but 13.5 or so is pretty much standard LOP. Before I boogered up the stock I would tape a block of wood onto what you have and try it. I used to laugh at the competition shotgun guys who would measure their arms LOP and stretch the stock to match. More times than not they ended up removing the spacers. It's all about comfort not how long your arm is.

15.5 is a long stock. Have you even shot the rifle like it is?? I am not saying you don't need more length but 13.5 or so is pretty much standard LOP. Before I boogered up the stock I would tape a block of wood onto what you have and try it. I used to laugh at the competition shotgun guys who would measure their arms LOP and stretch the stock to match. More times than not they ended up removing the spacers. It's all about comfort not how long your arm is.
I’m well above average height, I have to roll up a hand towel now to get comfortable and not feel like a gorilla hunching a football. Also have a 80-82” wingspan if that says anything even all the shooting benches where I go are too small for me, and I was shouldering a McMillan with a 14.5” yesterday and felt cramped.

I think the shotgun style will be nice. They are not to hard to get sanded down to match the profile of your stock with a decent belt sander.
I have always hated the look of the McMillan or Manners spacers. You will need a box of spacers and it might not be very sturdy with that small of screws being that long to hold all the spacers on.
The nice thing about the style you shared is you can adjust the drop at heel as well as LOP. I'm not as tall as you, only a 76" wing span, but even I have issues with not enough drop.

Reactions: akmike47
I’m well above average height, I have to roll up a hand towel now to get comfortable and not feel like a gorilla hunching a football. Also have a 80-82” wingspan if that says anything even all the shooting benches where I go are too small for me, and I was shouldering a McMillan with a 14.5” yesterday and felt cramped.
Feel like a gorilla my ass! I'll bet you don't find many dress shirts that fit! Is you nickname Hoss? The adjuster will work but it won't be as easy to install correctly as others have said. Do you have sporting clay, skeet or trap clubs near you? The serious shogun shooters will know if there is a stock guy local to you. They have a fixture that allows them to precisely grind fittings like the one you linked to. They do it everyday.

Reactions: Sgt47
Limbsaver slip- on with foam spacers no mods necessary and cost and time effective.

At 6 1/2ft tall, my LOP measures out to 16 1/2". My method of LOP extension was to use the stacked spacer method.

Remove the buttplate. Trace the edge onto EVA Foam Sheets, as many as needed to gain a good thickness, and include the screw hole. Cut them a little oversize on the outer edge.

Assemble the stack between the stock and the buttplate, longer screws are usually needed. Wrap masking tape (two wraps) around the wood stock, aligning it with the edge of the first (forward) layer of EVA foam.

Using a block sander, reduce the excess EVA foam until its level with the masking tape. Tighten the screws until they hold the stack immobile, but don't strip the threads. Remove the masking tape, done.

A custom job with a reasonable cost; and you can restore it to the original if you hang onto the old screws...

The 10mm thickness corresponds to about 7/16" thickness. It can also be used for cheek rests, and things like bag riders; they can be made semi-removable by mounting them using double stick tape.

I look at that contraption in your link and cringe over the cost. Too much solution to a very simple problem.

Greg

Last edited:
At 6 1/2ft tall, my LOP measures out to 16 1/2". My method of LOP extension was to use the stacked spacer method.

Remove the buttplate. Trace the edge onto EVA Foam Sheets, as many as needed to gain a good thickness, and include the screw hole. Cut them a little oversize on the outer edge.

Assemble the stack between the stock and the buttplate, longer screws are usually needed. Wrap masking tape (two wraps) around the wood stock, aligning it with the edge of the first (forward) layer of EVA foam.

Using a block sander, reduce the excess EVA foam until its level with the masking tape. Tighten the screws until they hold the stack immobile, but don't strip the threads. Remove the masking tape, done.

A custom job with a reasonable cost; and you can restore it to the original if you hang onto the old screws...

The 10mm thickness corresponds to about 7/16" thickness. It can also be used for cheek rests, and things like bag riders; they can be made semi-removable by mounting them using double stick tape.

I look at that contraption in you link and cringe over the cost. Too much solution to a very simple problem.

Greg
That's what mind really is but 15-15.5 is more doable, I'm 6'7