• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Adding weight to a stock?

BLJ

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2020
Recently picked up a Magpul Hunter for a RAP in 6.5 Creedmoor. I would like to add as much weight to it as possible. Are there any relatively affordable options? What I would like to do is fill in all the cross sectioned parts inside the stock with weight. Lead putty? Duct seal? Open to recomendations. Thanks.

Assuming your mixing the lead shot and epoxy and pouring the mixture into the voids?

Reactions: Newbie2020
Copy that. Any epoxy better than the other?

Recently picked up a Magpul Hunter for a RAP in 6.5 Creedmoor. I would like to add as much weight to it as possible. Are there any relatively affordable options? What I would like to do is fill in all the cross sectioned parts inside the stock with weight. Lead putty? Duct seal? Open to recomendations. Thanks.

Prior to the obsession with having every part of a firearm made so that it weighs nothing I used to routinely "fatten up" rifle stocks. My process was pretty simple. I bought bags of lead shot. If working with a barrel channel I'd just machine a cavity in the channel area and fill it with the lead shot. I'd whip up some 2 part resin as a binder. On the back end of the stock I'd basically do the same thing but would machine a pocket or poke the back end with a spade drill. Sometimes I would drill right through the base of the grip and do the same thing there too.

The thing to remember with any composite stock. (carbon or glass, doesn't matter) Short of running the thing through a tree chipper or an incinerator, you really cannot ruin it. You can however make more work for yourself. Once a person realizes this it gives you the freedom to become pretty fearless.

Hope this helps.

C.

Reactions: redx
This part right here is what I like most about my Grayboe stock...
The thing to remember with any composite stock. (carbon or glass, doesn't matter) Short of running the thing through a tree chipper or an incinerator, you really cannot ruin it. You can however make more work for yourself. Once a person realizes this it gives you the freedom to become pretty fearless. @LongRifles Inc.

Agree on not being concerned about messing something up. I’m in it cheap and I like to experiment. Any recommendations on lead shot size and 2 part epoxy? Do you mix the shot and epoxy together and pour it into the voids? Or epoxy over the shot? Appreciated.

I just did this the other day for my bravo stock. I used bb's since that's just what I had around but I was still able to add a good 3 pounds to it. I would just fill the space with them, then pour the epoxy over it all as it was liquid enough to just seep through the cracks. Also used an old handheld jigsaw with the blade removed as vibration to help it all settle. Just used jb weld 5min epoxy and it turned out great.

Agree on not being concerned about messing something up. I’m in it cheap and I like to experiment. Any recommendations on lead shot size and 2 part epoxy? Do you mix the shot and epoxy together and pour it into the voids? Or epoxy over the shot? Appreciated.

The smaller the shot size the better because it mitigates the voids from sphere to sphere. It would be best to mix the resin first, then add the shot to it. Stir it into "rice crispy treats" and then add to the stock. -Not a bad idea to wet the stock with resin where you're going to fill just to ensure good adhesion. The last thing you want is a chunk of it coming loose.

Less resin is better than more. -Use just enough to make it a sticky glob.

Reactions: camocorvette
When I tried shot and resin in my stock I put the shot in first, then poured the resin. The only issue I had was I was working on it in my basement, and the resin was not very warm so it didn't flow well.

When I did it again with my butt pad spacers (bad idea for balance issues) I warmed up the resin (following the directions on the bottle) so it flowed much better into the little cracks and crevasses of the spacers and left a solid block of weight.