• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adding weight to an MPA Hybrid Chassis / Bergara

MDof2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2020
Magatopia
Setting up a Bergara B14R barreled action (factory barrel) in an MPA Hybrid chassis. Trying to get a little more balance in the rifle. Currently rear heavy.
I've added the forend weight kit from MPA that goes down in the chassis / under the barrel.
I can't seem to find any external weights that work for this chassis like the externals dog bone looking weigh kits that are used for their Comp and other chassis.
Any ideas?
I'm at ~13.5lbs now, and trying to get another couple pounds up front so it will balance on an AG Gamechanger bag on a barricade.

Another thing to consider is the more forward the weight added the less you need to get the needed balance. The arca type system is easily adjustable & also easily removable.

The best thing would be a heavier barrel contour, I know that doesn't solve your issue, but I too have a hybrid chassis and with a 26" heavy Palma and the full weight kit, it's sitting a fuzz over 16lbs.

The thing about the hybrid chassis, is it's more or less intended to be lightweight, probably why there are no additional weight kits for it if they wouldn't sell.

Yeah, I wasn't intending on rebarreling it right out of the box, but I may do that for a little better balance. I think I'm only a couple pounds away from having it somewhat balanced fore/aft. I was going to play with a couple scuba sand bags and a barricade to see how much more is needed. I got a few ideas from some others on making a couple weights for the forend out of some bar stock and using the MPA mounting hardware in their signature holes on the sides of the forend. I luckboxed into the MPA Hybrid chassis at an unbelievable deal, so I'm willing to try a few things before going to a BA Comp chassis or MDT for it. Perhaps my famous last words.

I do appreciate everyone throwing different ideas and options around.

Yeah, I wasn't intending on rebarreling it right out of the box, but I may do that for a little better balance. I think I'm only a couple pounds away from having it somewhat balanced fore/aft. I was going to play with a couple scuba sand bags and a barricade to see how much more is needed. I got a few ideas from some others on making a couple weights for the forend out of some bar stock and using the MPA mounting hardware in their signature holes on the sides of the forend. I luckboxed into the MPA Hybrid chassis at an unbelievable deal, so I'm willing to try a few things before going to a BA Comp chassis or MDT for it. Perhaps my famous last words.

I do appreciate everyone throwing different ideas and options around.
Something you might consider is a "gamer plate" from grey ops. The weighted version is 2-2.5 lbs. That should get you over the tipping point

I am building the exact same setup. Thanks for all the input here. Would you please share with us what ended up working for you?

I got a reponse back from gray ops (who make the external weights that MPA sells) a month ago that said external weights for the Hybrid chassis were in work. No ETA.

Reactions: bputnam
I liked the 3lb + 5lb add ons of that one link 115 + shipping . Don't you have a place near you where you could buy metal ? a welding shop a metal foundry ? we picked up 1 3/8' thick 4ft piece of cold rolled steel about 20something lb and they only charged like 60.00 and that was with asking them to cut it in half , we drilled the m lock holes our selves lol yea it's ugly on the side of the gun but it worked you can get key mod hardware or m lock on amazon it's cheap design your own plates with something you like only need you , and a dremel and bits , and a dream . best of luck

Reactions: bputnam
I bought the 4.5 weight from DST Precision after seeing one on a prize table for an NRL22 X match. They had donated a couple of prizes, and one of the guys in my squad picked that up.

I did briefly think about trying to cobble something together myself, but for the few bucks I would save, it wasn’t worth it. I have used that weight on 4 different 22s. It is well made, and transforms the feel of the rifles. I don’t think I would ever consider adding a weight kit that could not be removed now that I have one that is so adjustable. And supporting a business that supports our sport feels good too.