• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adding weight

HDWRENCH

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2018
So I just bought another Christensen MPR this one is in 300 WM . Now I have no illusions on making this a true bench gun , ( primary use Elk hunting ) However I would like to add some weight for range use . ( just taming the recoil even further )

I am aware that there are some ways to add weight to other chassis but there does not seem to be a " kit " for this gun . I happen to have a few machines that I own for my shop . Mill lathe ( I build engines for a living) So I can make my own weights if machine work is needed . However I am thinking that a better way would me to mold a few items with tungsten powder . Sure it may not have the race car look of a machined part but the weight factor is much higher .

I could make a long weight under the barrel , The grip being hollow another fine location , and making a insert for the lower butt stock portion as well .

I have used the search function here am aware MPA makes a bag rider for it . I do not want to buy anther chassis for it just a way to easily add weight for a laid back range session and for the one or two hunts a year shed the weight and I am back to the low weight pack rig I like .

I am open to opinions All and any . suggestions from guys that shoot more from the bench as well .. I have not had much time for range shooting but that has changed some and I am now just starting to work with my friend as his spotter and he does shoot in matches . It re lite the spark for me , as well decided to forgo the deer lease this year to open up some more time .

If I am way off base and I am just spinning my wheels again open to suggestions

Thank you for reading

Last edited:
Pizza and beer and alot of it , pack on 50 -75 pounds and that 300 WM will feel like a 22LR. Mass is how you defeat recoil ask any fat ass who shoots large caliber rifles.

Pizza and beer and alot of it , pack on 50 -75 pounds and that 300 WM will feel like a 22LR. Mass is how you defeat recoil ask any fat ass who shoots large caliber rifles.
Not a fatass or even close but 220 at 6' lets me shoot 7SAW as my match round. 162s at 2860.

Also means I can run a really heavy gun and throw it around like a toothpick

Reactions: Thecelt
I I did look up the weight blocks I think I may machine a mold and try pouring the tungsten powder . I am trying to figure out if it weighs as much and normal or less ? Making the mold is super easy . Drop it into my bridgeport and make a box machine two holes into it to attach to the side and bottom of the for grip . . I could even fill the grip on this as its an AR style grip . I plan to add a bag rider to it and found one that is round Could put that into the lathe and with a boring bar open it up and pour that full as well I have tons of ideas but if I can buy something that is ready to go well my time is not free ha ha .

Iam a
I I did look up the weight blocks I think I may machine a mold and try pouring the tungsten powder . I am trying to figure out if it weighs as much and normal or less ? Making the mold is super easy . Drop it into my bridgeport and make a box machine two holes into it to attach to the side and bottom of the for grip . . I could even fill the grip on this as its an AR style grip . I plan to add a bag rider to it and found one that is round Could put that into the lathe and with a boring bar open it up and pour that full as well I have tons of ideas but if I can buy something that is ready to go well my time is not free ha ha .
How have you made out with this? Im interested in this rifle, although I like the steel barreled version. Id like tobuse it for both hunting and paper punching at longer ranges, as well as long range precision training classes. I am concerned about what ive read in regards to quality/accuracy issues though. How is yours treating you?