• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adjustable bases?

Rookie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2004
D/FW
Obviously the lack of optical adjustment is a barrier to long range shooting. I was talking to some old bench rest guys the other day at the range. They are now shooting beyond 1000 yards using adjustable scope bases like the one pictured. I've never seen one so I ordered one. They acknowledged they are cheap Chicom but said they work well. They use feeler gauges to get repeatability. I'll give it a try and let you guys know. Any experience here with these or similar? It attaches to your existing rail and then the upper rail swings up in the rear and locks. One guy said he can get in excess of 100moa if needed.
Screenshot_20200208-142359_Samsung Internet.jpg

How far are you trying to shoot? I can shoot out to 2640 just using the elevation adjustment in my scope turret.

Most Scopes/mount/ring combo will get you out fairly pass 1,000 yards as stated.

Buy you are correct, that one seems to be low cost compare to some other more advertised/popular options:

Cold Shot - Adj Base

ERA-TAC - Adj Mount

Ivey - Adj Mount

TACOMHQ - Scope Attachment

How far are you trying to shoot? I can shoot out to 2640 just using the elevation adjustment in my scope turret.
I run out of adjustment well before 1800yards with Leupy Mk4 with only 40moa above 100 yard zero. I dial 40moa and hold 6.2 mils.

I have the Ivey and Coldshot adjustable mounts. Both are very good and repeatable. I don't see a $14.95 base being worth much. Quality does cost money just look at knock off ATLAS bipod looks good but are a POS. Don't waste your money on cheap crap from China.
This!
The Waters rifleman bade looks interesting as well.

Last edited:
Do the math on just how little error in thousands of an inch, it takes per minute or .3 mils on the rail.

It’s hard enough to make a scope repeatable, while you might be able to do it in a rail it is going to need to be as meticulous as the erector. Your error stacking even as a best case scenario.

I’d stay away from all those bases and either get yourself the correct caliber and scope or add a prism.

If you can't afford a proper mount, scope, prism, etc. then I think the most budget friendly solution is the Burris XTR rings. They have adjustable inserts to adjust from 0 MOA to 40 MOA.

I would skip the cheap Chinese made base. It's probably going to cause more problems then it's going to solve.

I agree to skip the Chinese junk. The Burris rings are a good option. They are adjustable on the fly though like I think the OP was looking for.

They hold up the my 375 just fine as well so don’t worry about the plastic inserts slipping
AEAB8C2D-026C-4751-BF1D-36748C0B3196.jpeg

you can do it for less than the $14.00 chicom crap with these -

and you can also make your own out of aluminum cans. Free. And put them between the scope and the ring or under the bases themselves.

Last edited:
West Desert Shooter did a video a few months ago shooting a .22LR at 500 yards using an Ivey adjustable base. It can add something like 250 MOA.

I like my ivey so far. I haven't had any issues with it dialing true or dialing back to 0 at all. when I use it to dial I am confident in it doing what it's suppose to do every time, so I kind of forget about it.

Hope this helps.
Deano

Reactions: Ash$$
Here is my Ivey 50 mil base on my AI-PSR I can dial 72.3 mils up from a 100 yard zero. That put me out to about 3000 yards
IMG_0533.JPG

View attachment 7249996
Here is a Dan Warner, Warner Tool Company, adjustable base for my custom 416 Barrett Built for 2020 ELR competitions.
We will be using this rifle in the KO2M, KO2M France and other events throughout the year.

Good luck and great shooting
Chris Schmidt
Tennessee
IG: ChrisSchmidt_ELR
This system is a precise sine. bar mechanism with positive pin location at 0, 30, 60 90 and 120 minutes with a lock for each position. Repeatability is better than .005degrees at any location. Pin fit is less than .0002 clearance. I've designed and fab'ed for Barnard GP , JJ Rock and Bat EX so far. Next up is the short version of the Bat.
Blocks and locations are inherent to each action and all require unique hole locations depending on what action is employed except for the Barnard
I was able to use the existing tapped holes for that one.
Alan Warner

Warner Tool

63F869FF-2059-48B7-8FBE-E172D135F01C.jpeg
Precision adjustable base. The Ultimate in accuracy and precision that has been proven.

Thanks Dan and Alan it has preformed very well going into its third season. Cheers

Oneshot.onehit
Jeff Heeg

I have a coldshot on a 22LR and have been to 800 easily. Very repeatable, very accurate to dial up. The rest of my rifles have ATACR optics with plenty of built in elevation. I think my 338 lapua can dial to like 3200 yards or something silly like that

So you guys have been holding out on this technology from the rest of us. I dont recall ever seeing a thread on adjustable bases.

Reactions: LastShot300
The only downside with the Cold Shot or Warner adjustable base is they raise up the height of the scope up higher above the bore of the rifle. This is where the Charlie Tarac is better as you scope doesn't become more elevated above the bore of the rifle.

I haven’t considered it a downside or hindrance, my cheek weld is set higher as well as my adjustable butt plate. Even the majority of the folks using the Charlie are still using a high scope base in order to see over the barrel at the muzzle and avoid some of the heat mirage for the majority of the regular scope adjustments used before adding the Charlie, it seems like the higher scope bases become the norm on the ELR rifles maybe not all but the majority. Also it does not effect the accuracy with the height over the bore, if it did a whole bunch of folks would be in trouble.

Theres a lot of great choices for folks wanting to push the limits of what folks say can’t be done, the industry and the sport of ELR is just growing and evolving every day.

Shown a rifle with a common Charlie set up and a rifle with a adjustable rest
769E4FC3-CE01-433D-A584-A6B44A5259DD.png
585FBE2F-7113-4CA8-B7A7-94170AD4CDF4.png

Cheers
Oneshot.onehit
JH

Last edited:
Reactions: MACHTECH
Holding out? No, taking our time to develop it properly.

Gixxer- please explain to me how raising your scope above the bore, if done with precision, is a bad thing. Further, please explain to me how hanging anything with weight to it on the ftont of expensive optics is good for said optics. The charlie obviously works, and I have nothing negative to say about it as a stand alone unit. But your statement needs some clarification if you would.

While it is desirable to keep a scope close to the bore to eliminate alignment errors, it has been proven that even a scope mounted several inches above the bore can perform perfectly as long as its mounted correctly.

Reactions: DIBBS
In using a adjustable base you start with the scope raised higher than lets say in a Spuhr mount only. You add the height of the mount to the height of the adjustable base. As Dan says if you have quality part like Dan makes there is no issue stacking. The issue I have ( I am using a Cold Shot base with a Spuhr) is the stock height of most cheek pads are just not quite tall enough to get your head in a good comfortable shooting position when you stack the two. Then when you add lets say 25 mils so you can shoot out to 3000 yards its get even harder to get a good shooting position. I have not seen your mount Dan but it looks like it is not as tall as the Cold Shoot. I have always tried to get the scope height as close to the center of the bore as possible.

Update. I meant to say the Charlie Tac Rail mount system. I prefer not to have anything on the end of scope. I do have friends that have the scope mount system and it works very good. But i am looking at using the Charlie on both my AI-PSR and Cadex .375ct so rail mount looks for me to be the better option.

Last edited:
The new QD rail mount is a definite improvement over the magnetic objective mount imo. A standard 1.5" height spuhr is the perfect height for alignment to the CT. Anything over about 80 mils and your looking at your barrel though and will require the Delta. The Delta is really nice for seeing around mirage from the barrel or suppressor.
Screenshot_20200216-225023.jpg

Reactions: Yerman
I have always tried to get the scope height as close to the center of the bore as possible.

Once you go past say 300 yards or so scope height means almost nothing, when talking ELR ranges even less. You want an example of bore height problems check out the P90. For a CQB rifle with mounts available from about 3 to 6 inches above barrel makes a huge impact at such short ranges.

I agree that for most applications it makes sense to keep a low mount, I do as well, but for ELR having a high mount really makes no difference other than shooter comfort