• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adjustable buttplate for McMillan?

03machstock

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2021
Pennsylvania
Anyone have any opinions on the best adjustable buttplate for a McMillan a3-5? I’ve noticed when shooting prone, and other off positions at times the top of my butt pad is digging into my body, and I saw some guy with adjustable butt pads on their chassis and I thought that might help. McMillan sells a 2 way and 3 way adjustable set up on their site, are they any good or are there better options out there? I’m thinking I would only need a 2 way adjustable but i could be convinced otherwise. Here’s my current set up.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0946.jpeg
    IMG_0946.jpeg
    771.7 KB · Views: 35
The two-way (vertical) one makes sense. I put a modified shotgun/trap&skeet to give me some vertical rise on the butpad. I had the same issue where it was under my shoulder when the cheekrest is raised.
kW55jdr.jpg

The three-way is only slightly beneficial with a bipod rifle. It is necessary for a sling and glove gun to maintain the rifle in a vertical position since I shoot Palma the old "Green Army man" style halfway rolled over on my left chest.

I've got the McMillan 3 way adj butt plate on my A6. It works well, but I don't recommend it for short people. I'm 5' 10" and the butt plate is adjusted 1/2" out from its shortest setting.

Reactions: 03machstock
Ok I’ll check out the McMillan then. Did you guys have to modify it to fit or is a direct bolt on piece? I know some times that adjustable stuff is generic and needs custom fitment.

Do you find yourself using the can’t adjustment often or mainly the up and down? Does it seem pretty sturdy? Easy to adjust?
I used to use the canting feature but when I started shooting both strong and weak side, I set it to the neutral position. It is more comfortable with a slight cant if I am just shooting on one side though.

It isn’t tool-less like the cheek riser. So it’s easy to adjust if you keep a fix-it-sticks or allen key with you, otherwise it’s locked in place and it’s very sturdy.

Reactions: 03machstock
Ok I’ll check out the McMillan then. Did you guys have to modify it to fit or is a direct bolt on piece? I know some times that adjustable stuff is generic and needs custom fitment.
Best to send your stock into McMillan for modification. It's not an easy thing to modify. The extra weight also helps to balance heavy barrels. That was one of the reasons I got it.