• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adjustable cheek riser

KYyeeter

Did you see the size of that chicken
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2019
I have a krg bravo and it just doesn’t have enough adjustability for me. I wish I had gone with a full chassis of some kind but that’s what I went with. I’m not sure if I have my scope height too high or eye relief off but I can’t get comfortable behind the gun when shooting prone. For one I shoot right handed but I’m left eye dominant. I keep catching myself having to tilt my head over the cheek riser to get more center behind the scope. My question is, is there an aftermarket cheek riser that has horizontal adjustability to it? Or if you have other suggestions let me hear them.

Are you using your non dominant eye or are you using your dominant eye to shoot? Just curious, I have the same issue but I use my non dominant eye to shoot.

As to an aftermarket adjustable cheek piece… only that that's available from KRG that I'm aware of.

You can get a pad that straps to it that all raise it up a little bit, attaches by Velcro. I used to use old mouse pads and duct tape if I didn't have an adjustable cheek piece.

If you have any basic wood working tools, belt sander, jigsaw, drill… you could get a piece of wood carved up sand it and make your own... Just pull the rods from your original cheek piece.

Last edited:
Reactions: KYyeeter
It also sounds like the OP needs to pull the butt further in towards his center.

Are you using your non dominant eye or are you using your dominant eye to shoot? Just curious, I have the same issue but I use my non dominant eye to shoot.

As to an aftermarket adjustable cheek piece… only that that's available from KRG that I'm aware of.

You can get a pad that straps to it that all raise it up a little bit, attaches by Velcro. I used to use old mouse pads and duct tape if I didn't have an adjustable cheek piece.

If you have any basic wood working tools, belt sander, jigsaw, drill… you could get a piece of wood carved up sand it and make your own... Just pull the rods from your original cheek piece.
I shoot non dominant and once I can find the reticle with my eye I can usually focus my eyes and shoot both eyes open, that’s more comfortable than straining my non dominant eye by itself if that makes sense.

It also sounds like the OP needs to pull the butt further in towards his center.
I just recently started watching the hide training videos. I completely tore my rifle down and switched the setup, shortened my lop, moved my scope forward in the rings where I could put my head as natural as possible instead of having to scrunch it back to get a good sight picture, and I brought the butt in towards my neck, it actually sits right on my clavicle now and is surprisingly more comfortable than out near my shoulder. It helped quite a bit getting me more centered behind the scope. I’ve been trying different cheek-chin welds but I’m still rolling my head over the riser just a bit to get perfect sight picture.

Sometimes it’s just easier to ask than to spend hours searching threads because chances are somebody has already figured it out. I’m going to give this route a try, thanks again for the link
Looks like an outstanding solution. I was a long time American Skeet shooter and we are kind of nuts about gun fit and on my shotguns I absolutely moved my combs over to my onside to get directly behind the rib with my head upright.

Segue to rifles and I sent my Rem 700 5R to Joe Ducos to installed Terry Cross' KMW adjustable comb hardware and love it.

Sadly, I also love JAE chassis and while that comb is adjustable up/down it is not adjustable L/R. It is a thinner, smaller radius comb than many/most but I too still have to roll just a bit to get fully in the eye box. But, I'm not standing there swinging it like a shotgun so I'm finding that the small amount of roll over needed is not a problem. But I still wish I could move it off to the right a bit.

Shoot right eyed.

I had several kids in my youth marksmanship class who were lefty/righty like yourself. I trained them to shoot according to the rifle's controls. Right-or-left eyed is a brain thing. Unless there is visual damage in the other eye. You can train yourself to shoot with either eye. It takes time, but can be valuable once mastered. But the older you are it gets harder because your brain gets set in its ways.

My Granddaughter chose to train herself to shoot right handed, even though she's a Southpaw. She said she'd prefer not to always need to buy special guns. It worked great for her.

I trained them using 22 handguns and dot scopes, slowly switching off between aiming eyes. It's the easier way. After that becomes doable, we move them to iron sights on rifles. Then scopes.

It's your marksmanship, how good do you want to be at it?

Talk to McMillan about sideways adjustable cheek risers. My A3 Tactical has about 1/2" left-right adjustability in it. It's the cut-out style. Something is better than nothing.

Greg

Last edited:
Shoot right eyed.

I had several kids in my youth marksmanship class who were lefty/righty like yourself. I trained them to shoot according to the rifle's controls. Right-left eyed is a brain thing. Unless there is visual damage in the other eye. You can train yourself to shoot with either eye. It takes time, but can be valuable once mastered. But the older you are it gets harder because your brain gets set in its ways.

My Granddaughter chose to train herself to shoot right handed, even though she's a Southpaw. She said she'd prefer not to always need to buy special guns. It worked great for her.

I trained them using 22 handguns and dot scopes, slowly switching off between aiming eyes. It's the easier way. After that becomes doable, we move them to iron sights on rifles. Then scopes.

It's your marksmanship, how good do you want to be at it?

Talk to McMillan about sideways adjustable cheek risers. My A3 Tactical has about 1/2" left-right adjustability in it. It's the cut-out style. Something is better than nothing.

Greg
I think I may have got my words backwards. I’m right handed and left eye dominant. I’ve always shot with my right eye though. I never thought twice about it until I got into the precision rifle game and shooting prone for extended periods of time.

The chassis you have is ambidextrous, Ever try just shooting left handed?
I’ve actually started experimenting with that a little bit, a little awkward but I could see it being more comfortable on my eye and neck strain with a lot more practice.

Part of the issue may be optical correction. Get your eyes examined and ensure that the right eye has a proper prescription, to reduce/eliminate eyestrain. Discuss shooting with the optometrist, to get the lens optical center properly located on the lens. They know how to do this, and most of them are very cooperative about it. Prescription shooting glasses are an excellent investment.

Also, get checked for cataracts. When mine came out, I was amazed at how much better I could see, especially the colors.

Finally, put some scotch magic tape over the optical center of your left shooting lens. This removes the sharp image without forcing the eyes to change their pupil size. As the black patch closes off the light coming in, the brain opens the pupil on the other eye, to compensate. It's a night vision adaptation. Unfortunately, as the pupil opens up, the resolution degrades. This can also increase eyestrain. We learned this stuff when training with the USMC Pistol Team at Quantico back in the mid 90's.

Greg

Last edited:
Part of the issue may be optical correction. Get your eyes examined and ensure that the right eye has a proper prescription, to reduce/eliminate eyestrain. Discuss shooting with the optometrist, to get the lens optical center properly located on the lens. They know how to do this, and most of them are very cooperative about it. prescription shooting glasses are an excellent investment. Also, get checked for cataracts. When mine came out, I was amazed at how much better I could see, especially the colors.

Greg
I have been needing an eye doc visit, it’s been too long. I’ll be sure to ask these questions. Thanks