• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Adjustable Comb M1A

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2008
New Jersey
I have a loaded SA M1A with a Government scope that I like to shoot. It has high rings so I have to use a removable cheek pad to align my eye with the scope. I have two questions and I would appreciate help from anyone who can give it. 1) Can an adjustable comb be installed in the original walnut stock without removing the action (bedded barrel)? 2) If this is possible, can anyone reccommend a competent gunsmith who can perform this job ? I live in NW NJ but location of the gunsmith doesn't matter

Thanks

Re: Adjustable Comb M1A

Get one of the Kydex Adjustable Cheek Pieces and all you have to do is drill two holes. Do a search for Karsten Check Piece and you'll find all kinds of info here. You may want to fill the two cleaning equipment holes in the stock with epoxy to make the butt area stronger.

Look at the bottom of this thread and you will see the one I'm talking about. Get the one with out the knobs as they will hang up on stuff and once it's set you want need to change it with a M1A as you don't have a bolt to remove.

Oh, and Welcome. Donald

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post1537082

Thanks for your help. I actually have already purchased one of those kydex attachments and will use it as a last resort. In my opinion, it just doesn't look right on a walnut stock. It looks great on the black composite stock though. I don't mean to be difficult but I am seeking style as well as function.

Thanks

Removing your glassed M1A from the stock once to install the adjustable hardware won't hurt a thing. Frankly, I doubt you'll get much interest in doing the job with the action still in the stock.

The hardware is readily available; all you have to do is find a gunsmith to do the job. I'd talk to Doan Trevor, McGee Competition Stocks, or Russo's Rifle Stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oldsmobiler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a hold of this guy and he'll be able to do exactly what you're looking for. I've seen some REALLY nice work come out of his shop. He's a big M14 fan

http://www.law483.com/ </div></div>

Oldsmobiler,

Thanks for the recomendation.

I've done this before, and the tricky part is the storage tubes. A competent gunsmith or stocksmith in your area may be able to do this. Shoot me a PM or email; if I can't help you I'll try to point you in the right direction.