• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adjustable gas block on LMT MWS

Hogshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2003
Powhatan, Va
Just wanted to share some info regarding adding an adjustable gas block to the LMT MWS. I just got off the phone with one of the LMT techs regarding putting an adjustable gas block on my MWS. I have two barrels, a 16" CL and an 18" SS. The 16" is a mid length gas system and the 18" and 20" are rifle length. He advised the that the factory gas block is hydraulically pressed onto the barrel and then drilled and pinned. He said that it would require a hydraulic press to remove the block as that is what they have to do when there is a problem with a gun requiring removal of the block. He also informed me that the gas port in the barrel is drilled at a 45 deg. angle. Due to the design of the barrel extension and the straight gas tube it will be difficult to find an adj. gas block of the correct height and tube that will work with the system. He also informed me that the Brits are running Surefire suppressors on their MWS guns full auto and LMT is currently working on designing a heavier buffer / spring to slow the Brits gun down on full auto versus an adj. gas block. I specifically asked if when I run my rifle suppressed will the over gassing cause additional wear and possible damage. His answer was no. I still think that I am going to run a extra heavy buffer to slow things down. I hope this info may help those that have the same concerns with their MWS rifles.

Thanks for the information. Ive been considering a stiffer spring myself.
Just wanted to share some info regarding adding an adjustable gas block to the LMT MWS. I just got off the phone with one of the LMT techs regarding putting an adjustable gas block on my MWS. I have two barrels, a 16" CL and an 18" SS. The 16" is a mid length gas system and the 18" and 20" are rifle length. He advised the that the factory gas block is hydraulically pressed onto the barrel and then drilled and pinned. He said that it would require a hydraulic press to remove the block as that is what they have to do when there is a problem with a gun requiring removal of the block. He also informed me that the gas port in the barrel is drilled at a 45 deg. angle. Due to the design of the barrel extension and the straight gas tube it will be difficult to find an adj. gas block of the correct height and tube that will work with the system. He also informed me that the Brits are running Surefire suppressors on their MWS guns full auto and LMT is currently working on designing a heavier buffer / spring to slow the Brits gun down on full auto versus an adj. gas block. I specifically asked if when I run my rifle suppressed will the over gassing cause additional wear and possible damage. His answer was no. I still think that I am going to run a extra heavy buffer to slow things down. I hope this info may help those that have the same concerns with their MWS rifles.

I have a Slash heavy buffer and spring in mine. I wont say the recoil is harsh by any measure (I usually shoot 30-06 1903's and they have a pretty stiff recoil) but my brass still lands about ten feet away and the rifle gives a bit of push.

Perhaps the ejection and recoil dampening parts are unrelated but my point is My MWS is not a 5.56 AR.

Ive never shot with a can so I can not speak to any possible negatives regarding surpressed fire with the heavy buffer. I think if you speak with Clint Butler he would give you some good info regards what his product is capable of doing.

Last edited:
Leave the LMT gas block alone as it is a thing of beauty. Damn near impossible to replace without buying a new barrel. We were going to match crown a barrel but gave up before any carnage occured. It is one of the only blocks that angles (45 degrees) the gas port toward the muzzle to reduce erosion in the port. Slash's Heavy Buffer is a champ, and slows the rifle down for full auto and suppressed fire. I just started shooting my LMT MWS with an Elite Iron can and Slash Heavy Buffer in a MagPul PRS stock. It is running really well, wonderful recoil pulse, and slight gain in accuracy with a 16 CL barrel. I have a LMT stainless 18 inch 1:11.25 barrel I am going to test with next. If your brass is flying too far, put some loop side velcro on the ejection port tittie or get your 3 day ruck open next to your gun to catch your brass.

Last edited:
Leave the LMT gas block alone as it is a thing of beauty. Damn near impossible to replace without buying a new barrel. We were going to match crown a barrel but gave up before any carnage occured. It is one of the only blocks that angles (45 degrees) the gas port toward the muzzle to reduce erosion in the port. Slash's Heavy Buffer is a champ, and slows the rifle down for full auto and suppressed fire. I just started shooting my LMT MWS with an Elite Iron can and Slash Heavy Buffer in a MagPul PRS stock. It is running really well, wonderful recoil pulse, and slight gain in accuracy with a 16 CL barrel. I have a LMT stainless 18 inch 1:11.25 barrel I am going to test with next. If your brass is flying too far, put some loop side velcro on the ejection port tittie or get your 3 day ruck open next to your gun to catch your brass.

Kilmore how is the recoil impulse of your rifle with the extra heavy buffer when you are not using a can? I'm looking for purchase the extra heavy buffer but I'm afraid that it will have more of a push forward effect with the added mass.

Kilmore how is the recoil impulse of your rifle with the extra heavy buffer when you are not using a can? I'm looking for purchase the extra heavy buffer but I'm afraid that it will have more of a push forward effect with the added mass.

I noticed a slight recoil reduction from my 16" CL to my 18" SS barrel (mid vs rifle length gas)

I noticed a slight recoil reduction from my 16" CL to my 18" SS barrel (mid vs rifle length gas)

I'm currenting running a 20" SS barrel but it seems to be a bit on the over gassed side. So I'm wondering on either using an AR10 buffer spring with the slash extra heavy rifle buffer or a regular weight rifle buffer with tubb silicon spring. I'm thinking the tubb spring would be my best bet cause it will far dampen the recoil rearward impulse and not haing added weight to the buffer will not have a jumping forward feel.