• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

adjustable gas block, or non-adjustable ok?

WxWatcher

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Norman, OK
Wondering if a non-adjustable gas block with serve me just fine, or whether it's worth the extra bit of $ for an adjustable GB for some tuning adjustments to help work out any issues that may arise. Background: I won't be shooting suppressed (with I could, but can't afford a can anytime in the near future). Barrel is a 16" Rainier Arms match, mid length gas and in the next day or two will likely order a NiB BCG from 15Acessories (as info in that thread is promising). Barrel has one dimple, but was probably going to go with a clamp on type.
Also, any thoughts on what buffer weight would be good to run? I appreciate everyone's input and feedback, I've learned a lot from the Hide so far.

From what you've posted and assuming you're talking about 5.56/.223, sounds like all you need is a standard buffer and gas block and you should be good to go.

Standard, non-adj block and buffer SHOULD work just fine depending on that ammo you'll be running.

Whether or not to move up to an Adjustable gas block and other custom parts (like different weight buffers, springs, carrier weights, etc., etc.) is a personal decision, but I will say that your impression about adjustable gas blocks being solely "for some tuning adjustments to help work out any issues that may arise" is not nearly all that adjusting your gas flow will fix/improve. There is a wealth of performance enhancement to be gained from having your gas system regulated optimally for a particular load. You can achieve 100% reliable function, reduce perceived recoil (at least from a typically overgassed AR which most are at least to some degree), reduce wear/tear on rifle components, potentially shoot your AR longer without too much additional maintenance (reducing the amount of gas/debris being shoved back into the action accomplishes this...again...YMMV), etc., etc. In doing all of that, many people with adjustable gas blocks, especially because of the reduction in perceived recoil impulse, are more accurate, shoot faster and remain on target better than a similarly equipped rifle with a non-adjustable block that cannot be tuned.

Again...just some addt'l food for thought on the road to you making a decision that's best for you.

Even if you don't need the adjustable gas block now, it will provide you with a great deal more flexibility later if you ever want to use that option. Changing loads, smoothing out the rifle, improving cycling and accuracy are all possibilities where you may find the adjustable block useful.

Rather than having to try and sell a used non-adjustable block then buy an adjustable one, you would save money buying the adjustable block in the first place. However if funds are tight, you would get by just fine with the non adjustable block. for what it is worth, none of my rifles currently wear an adjustable block. The only adjustable block I did have was installed, and was never adjusted after initial installation.

What was the question? I'm too distracted by your avatar!!!

Thanks for the feedback. Given the $ I already have sunk into this project, seems like the extra $20-ish to get an adjustable GB over a non-adjustable is a worthwhile purchase. Any thoughts on clamp on versus set screw?

Even if you don't need the adjustable gas block now, it will provide you with a great deal more flexibility later if you ever want to use that option. Changing loads, smoothing out the rifle, improving cycling and accuracy are all possibilities where you may find the adjustable block useful.

Rather than having to try and sell a used non-adjustable block then buy an adjustable one, you would save money buying the adjustable block in the first place. However if funds are tight, you would get by just fine with the non adjustable block. for what it is worth, none of my rifles currently wear an adjustable block. The only adjustable block I did have was installed, and was never adjusted after initial installation.

This is a serious question because I had a dpms lr308 upper, bone stock, and it was a hammer, I then had a custom upper built with a Krieger barrel and a jp adj gas block and it cant hold a 1.5 moa group. I was wondering if the gas block effects accuracy, if so, how? I still need to play with the gas block but this topic has me confused.....
thanks

This is a serious question because I had a dpms lr308 upper, bone stock, and it was a hammer, I then had a custom upper built with a Krieger barrel and a jp adj gas block and it cant hold a 1.5 moa group. I was wondering if the gas block effects accuracy, if so, how? I still need to play with the gas block but this topic has me confused.....
thanks

Is the adjustable gas block on the krieger barrel a clamp on or set screw block?