• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adjustable gas block

predatornut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2009
North Dakota
I'm looking for a adjustable gas block for my ar15. Right now I'm leaning towards the one from Joe Bob Outfitters for $30, but wanted to check out other options. I need a low profile to fit under the handguard (LaRue). I was looking at the SLR, but I don't plan to change it once it's set and I would like to keep the price more budget friendly. Any suggestions and input are appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

There's SLR and everything else. IMO spend the money now or spend it later when the one you buy seizes up or fails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once it is set I don't plan to move it again unless I get a suppressor. In that case I would readjust and leave it. What parts could fail once set? I'm not trying to cheap out, but I am finding it hard to justify that kind of money when there are other options that will work for me. If I were planning to change the settings often, I wouldn't hesitate.

Anybody use the Seekins? I'm just looking for other options in the sub-$75 range.

My first AGB was the Seekins model that has the screw adjustment and the second set screw to hold the first in place. I quickly replaced it as I found it to be a PITA to adjust and couldn't consistently get it back to a known point. Not a big deal if you're going to tune it an forget it, but I'd imagine it would seize up if you didn't periodically remove and clean the pin. I've had good luck with Odin Works and SLR. If I were to do it all over again, I'd just start with SLR.

Let's just get this out of the way, it doesn't matter what gas block you get because they all freeze up anyway. I run SLRs because I like the design, but they too freeze up.

If its a safe queen it will be fine, if you actually shoot your rifle regularly it will seize up. I have yet to find one that doesnt after a bunch of rounds put through it. I have 6 SLR's, a few Syrac's, Seekins...they all seize. I just end up getting rebuild kits from SLR and back in business.

Let's just get this out of the way, it doesn't matter what gas block you get because they all freeze up anyway. I run SLRs because I like the design, but they too freeze up.

Agreed/True, but my understanding of the SLR is that the design tries to minimize the fouling that gets to the moving parts and theoretically extends the service life before seizing up. The Seekins model that I was speaking of literally has a screw that threads through the block and depending on how far you screw it in obstructs more or less of the gas flow. The threads are right there. I'd imagine that that would be more susceptible to seizing. At the end of the day you're absolutely right. They all have moving parts that are subjected to hot gases and carbon build up. Failure is inevitable at some point.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably give the Joe Bob a shot. For $30 I am not going to cry if it only lasts a few years. It is my coyote gun so it usually sees <500 rounds a year.

Anybody try a dab of anti-seize on the threads to help the seizing issue? Just a thought.

You could also pass on the AGB and get a set of the screw in ports to tune your rifle. I can't remember who makes them but you basically just screw in the port size you want.

Yup. I have 2 SLR's, a Syrac and a whole pile of JoeBobs blocks. I prefer the JoeBobs by far because I set it and forget it. In the event I do a major component change and need to readjust I just assume I'll need a new block, so I'd rather it be a $30 dollar block than an SLR.

If you want a block that is hard to tune initially and prone to stripping, definitely buy the Joe Bob / Red Barn / Seekins ones.

If you want one that blows apart in the middle and literally grenades, get the Syrac or Superlative.

​​​​​​Odin Works just released one that appears to be a copy of the SLR, but I haven't owned or read much about it. They have two different models, one that is seemingly a copy of the SLR and one that is the shitty Seekins style.

If you want to buy once and have the ability to easily change settings because of different ammo pressures (as well as easily clean / service), get the SLR.

Like Padom said above, I've owned all of them and the SLR wins by a mile.

If you want a block that is hard to tune initially and prone to stripping, definitely buy the Joe Bob / Red Barn / Seekins ones.

If you want one that blows apart in the middle and literally grenades, get the Syrac or Superlative.

​​​​​​Odin Works just released one that appears to be a copy of the SLR, but I haven't owned or read much about it. They have two different models, one that is seemingly a copy of the SLR and one that is the shitty Seekins style.

If you want to buy once and have the ability to easily change settings because of different ammo pressures (as well as easily clean / service), get the SLR.

What happened with your SupArms?? Ive ran 12k 556 through mine since last year hasnt exploded yet. SLR Sentry's are my go to though btw

What happened with your SupArms?? Ive ran 12k 556 through mine since last year hasnt exploded yet. SLR Sentry's are my go to though btw

I had one blow in half on me at the 2k mark, and I know I'm not the only one as I've seen other people witness / experience it. I'll ask my friend if he has the pictures still, it literally blew in half.

You're the first person I've ever heard of to have any complaints about a Seekins gas block aside from them only being available in one size. I've used a crapload of them and have never had an issue. Some of mine have a lot of rounds through them. I run them because they're the first I found that didn't back out or lose adjustment.

As to being hard to tune, also never an issue. They tune the same way the SLR does by opening the metering screw until you have proper regulation. Never once has it taken me more than 20 rounds to get one perfectly tuned, generally it's less than 10.

I can't comment on the others mentioned, but the Seekins works. To call it a shitty design but praise the SLR which uses the same basic design seems a bit bogus to me.

While I have both, and just recently got some Seekins which Im testing on some AR10s and have worked fine, I wouldnt call them the same design as an SLR... SLR has noticable, and feelable clicks for adjustment by turning one adjustment screw. You either turn the adjustment screw in or out for less or more gas and you have clicks to know exactly where your at. Six clicks out from completely closed for say suppressed. Eight clicks out from closed for say non-suppressed...

The Seekins on the other hand has a set screw that you must loosen up then you have a free spinning adjustment screw that you must work in or out to find your optimal gas tune. If you are doing a set it and forget build I see no reason why not to go with a Seekins. But they do not have audible or feelable clicks that you can quickly and easily on the fly go from suppressed to unspressed settings and know 100% your right back where you need to be in a matter of seconds without putting rounds downrange.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with the seekins and im testing one now with a few hundred rounds through it to date. Works great but not the same design as an SLR is all im saying.

The method of metering gas is the same between the two aside from the SLR adjustment being on the front and the Seekins being on the side, that's what I was getting at because they have no different adjustment method for tuning. Yes they do use two different methods of retaining the adjustment screw.

The detent in the SLR does make it better suited for consistent adjustment between suppressed and unsuppressed without a doubt, the Seekins is a tune it once and be done with it type deal so you'll either be undergassed or overgassed if not making adjustments each time. You could note a degree to adjust it every time but IMO wouldn't be worth the trouble and I'd be concerned about the brass set screw wearing from constant adjustment. There has been people who had the SLR's adjustment screw back out though which seems to be the most common problem with any gas block of this type so I wouldn't say that it's 100% flawless either.

Personally I really don't suppress many semis that aren't pistons and the on the DI guns that I do suppress they're always shot suppressed so I don't have a need for being able to adjust for on/off. Many do though but for my uses a reliable gas block that won't change adjustment yet is tunable is most important.

I do have a SLR clamp on sitting here as well as a JP and I always keep a Seekins or two on hand for builds. I got the SLR to tryout on a 6x45 build since I was considering shooting both suppressed and unsuppressed, I'm just waiting for the barrel to come in for it.

You're the first person I've ever heard of to have any complaints about a Seekins gas block aside from them only being available in one size. I've used a crapload of them and have never had an issue. Some of mine have a lot of rounds through them. I run them because they're the first I found that didn't back out or lose adjustment.

As to being hard to tune, also never an issue. They tune the same way the SLR does by opening the metering screw until you have proper regulation. Never once has it taken me more than 20 rounds to get one perfectly tuned, generally it's less than 10.

I can't comment on the others mentioned, but the Seekins works. To call it a shitty design but praise the SLR which uses the same basic design seems a bit bogus to me.

My thoughts as well. The Seekins adjustable blocks are great when you don't need click adjustments, and they are no harder to tune than any other gas block.

You do not have to back out the little lock screw to make adjustments. Just set the lock screw initially so it creates a lot of drag (that's all you can expect from those little lock screws anyway), then make your adjustments and be done.

So when a AGB does seize up, it seizes up in the position it's currently in right? Not like it's a "fail closed" type thing? The way I am reading it, it only becomes an issue if you want to make an additional adjustment. Not that that's good, but I shoot suppressed 100% of the time, so once I get one locked in it'll stay like that indefinitely.

So when a AGB does seize up, it seizes up in the position it's currently in right?
Yes. But I've seen the tips of the adjustment screw erode noticeably so a seized up block will eventually lose gas restriction on you.

So when a AGB does seize up, it seizes up in the position it's currently in right? Not like it's a "fail closed" type thing? The way I am reading it, it only becomes an issue if you want to make an additional adjustment. Not that that's good, but I shoot suppressed 100% of the time, so once I get one locked in it'll stay like that indefinitely.

Correct. I've always been able to free them up anyway with a little soaking in various oil or carbon cutters.

For switching between supressed and unsupressed:
On .223 i like my noveske switchblock. I also really like the moa govnah, but i dont think they are around anymore.