• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adjustable gas on 12-16" ars

tsavo303

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2010
McLean VA
I have never used a adjustable gas block, but am wondering how much an improvement it makes when running suppressed?

I am thinking about a switchblock or the LWRC m6a3?

Is it a must have, a nice option or unneeded?
It seem like it would be nice to prevent overgassing on rifles you shot suppressed and unsuppressed..
Thanks

Re: Adjustable gas on 12-16" ars

I'd be interested to know to.
My Class 3 dealer runs a Switchblock on 12" and shorter but not the 14.5 or 16"

I have a Noveske Crusader upper with Switchblock and it's nicer running it on 'S' when suppressed. It definitely reduces the gas and thus the effects of being overgassed. It functions fine if I forget to set it, but I definitely notice right away.

On my "main" 300 BLK suppressed upper (10.3") I have a PRI adjustable gas block. For me, it is beneficial. I adjust down the gas port opening when shooting suppressed. It reduces the amount of gunk being blown into the action and magazine. I think it is a touch quieter also.

I realize this cannot directly compare with another adjustable gas block upper, but to give you an idea: Half turn open from closed is used for suppressed 220gr bullets. One full turn open from closed is used for supersonic hunting and plinking jacketed bullets (125-147gr). 3 turns from closed is used for a light load with pulled M160 108gr frangible bullets. All those settings are what gives 100% proper functioning. Anyway you slice it, I'm only letting just enough gas into the mechanism for proper functioning.