• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Adjustable Windage/Elevation Mount for Laser

bower4311

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
Rochester, NY
I have an interesting build going on here. I'm waiting on a stockade stock for my 260 Rem that will be used for nuisance hunting or varmint hunting. I'm working on a laser for SPOTTING. That is correct. Looking to get a laser set up to see animals down range. An adjustable focus laser that is focused out will accomplish this task. I will need some way to mount it. I'm not quite sure yet what the best way is. I have the stock ordered with two swivels, but maybe I should drop down to one. I don't think I'll be able to use a bipod unless I'm clever about it. I would like to get some measurements before this stock gets built which might even be too late. I'll need some way to have the laser mounted under the gun, then a mount that will allow for adjustments. Trying to brainstorm before I figure everything out. I'm thinking a short rail that attaches via a swivel stud, then a mount for the laser that will allow for windage/elevation. Do they make these?

Thanks!

Before you get crazy with a mount, what is the focus range? out to 5*? 10*? Even wider? I would mount it in a standard light mount and see if you are on target first. That is how I started and it just so happens that it was aligned, but that was on an AR handguard.

However, should it be off a bit, and you are going to mount it on one gun only, you can shim inside the ring and get it set up. Or you can get a thick walled mount from somewhere on the internets and drill and tap for 12' and 3' set screws towards the front or back of the mount.

why would you mount the laser under the gun? thats just not a great place to have a laser. simply drill and epoxy some well nuts into the stock on either side of the forearm and mount a small pic rail. i run my lights and lasers on my side rails and it works great. then you can still run a bi pod or use shooting sticks should you need to .

I have an interesting build going on here. I'm waiting on a stockade stock for my 260 Rem that will be used for nuisance hunting or varmint hunting. I'm working on a laser for SPOTTING. That is correct. Looking to get a laser set up to see animals down range. An adjustable focus laser that is focused out will accomplish this task. I will need some way to mount it. I'm not quite sure yet what the best way is. I have the stock ordered with two swivels, but maybe I should drop down to one. I don't think I'll be able to use a bipod unless I'm clever about it. I would like to get some measurements before this stock gets built which might even be too late. I'll need some way to have the laser mounted under the gun, then a mount that will allow for adjustments. Trying to brainstorm before I figure everything out. I'm thinking a short rail that attaches via a swivel stud, then a mount for the laser that will allow for windage/elevation. Do they make these?

Thanks!

A wide-area illuminator doesn't need pinpoint accuracy. As long as it is pointing in the direction of your scope with not much offset from the line of sight, you should be fine. For example, the Hellfighter and Maxabeam illuminators for the M2 50-cal machinegun don't use windage and elevation adjustments.

The Spuhr scope mounts with picatinny rail on multiple sides of the rings will give you a better mounting position for your laser rig. Picatinny mount bases adjustable for windage and elevation, for spotting devices, do exist but are going to cost $600 and up. For that kind of coin, you may as well purchase an LDI SPIR, 600 mW LED illuminator with rail mount. The LDI DBAL D2 will give you a windage & elevation adjustable, eye-safe visible aiming laser and eye-safe IR aiming laser, and 450 mW LED illuminator that can reach far, for about 2x the price of the SPIR.

Otherwise, look for an older GCP-1 or GCP-2. GCP = Ground Commander Pointer with rail mount. These are very versatile IR lasers that can be focused to pencil beam or opened up to 30-degree flood by turning the bezel on the lens. They do have windage and elevation adjustments, and come in 50, 100, and 175 mW output that is variable on each unit via a hand dial. Pricing ranges from $350 to $750 for the used ones in excellent condition, and a number of the older ones, by NVEC, circa 2004, are available as legitimate market (not stolen) equipment. Every year, several of them come up for sale on various auction boards.

IR-V

Yeah I don't know why I didn't think about mounting on the side. That's what I'll do and I'll just shim where necessary. I just thought it might need more adjustment than a mount could handle. I should be fine. I'm looking at 200mW rated which is usually closer to 300 actual. Should this be enough? I didn't realize they were as popular as they seem. I'll have to do some more digging. I'll just mount it on the side with an applicable mount. Probably a flashlight mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered a ~250mW laser in 660nm red spectrum with a cheap 18650 battery for $47 shipped from Israel from a reputable guy with a small website. I have to wait until tomorrow for dimensions on the laser to get the diameter. I will be mounting on the side. I will probably just epoxy in a well nut which seems easy enough. I feel I will want to just use a rail with one screw, so I would have to cut one possibly. That way I can Rotate the rail if I need to for elevation. Then one ring of the appropriate size if possible. I am not a tacticool guy, how are lasers or lights usually mounted?