• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Adjusting a Savage trigger

Marriedman1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Brandon Ms.
Ok Hide Members" How do i adjust this trigger for a nice crisp light pull about 2lbs not too light without it slam firing?
2011-09-30183811.jpg

Re: Adjusting a Savage trigger

If I was you being the owner of sss and rifle basix,I would go with the rifle basix as it is easier to install with the free dvd they give to adjust it correctly.The sss is nice but not meant to be taken apart.Go with the rifle basix2.

I have had the Rifle Basix, and now have the SSS Comp trigger. I definately prefer the Rifle Basix trigger over the SSS. I had to do some modifications to get it to work with my Accustock rifle, but it works none the less.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best way to adjust an accutrigger is to take it off and throw it away!!! </div></div>

While that may be true, he doesn't have an accutrigger.

I'm in the middle of working on a very similar Steven's 200 trigger.

This aught to get you started:

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage/

And here's how to reassemble if you get lost.
smile.gif

http://youtu.be/GltFvcQke6s

A couple personal notes:

Working from front to back in your photo: On the trigger itself, first hex key is creep adjustment, second is overtravel, third is safety engagement. The shiny key with the slot for a screwdriver is a basic pull weight adjustment. Replace the spring with one made of lighter steel wire (large safety pin might work) and bend it to the shape of the factory spring. Take your time and make sure you understand how everything works before you go crazy removing large amounts of metal from the trigger sear or sear. Once you really understand what does what, polishing the sear and contact points in conjunction with adjusting the creep via the key will probably get you some very nice results. Just turning that over-travel key in an appropriate amount will make a big difference, I believe.

I have taken the AWFUL, gritty, 7-ish lb factory trigger on mine down to a nice, crisp 3-ish lb pull. I probably won't go any lighter since this rifle will also be used by a 12 year old girl during deer season this year and I don't want her carrying a rifle with a really light trigger.