• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adjusting Hornady ELD-M Published BC Down?

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
Good morning,

I am about to start reloading 6.5C for my match Gun. I have been running the Berger ammunition for about a year now and have lots of Lapua brass built up.

I am trying to decide which bullet I want to run with. After some research I found that the published Hornady BCs seemed really high. I consulted AB and found that the BC in the bullet library was substantially lower. Is anyone else seeing this? .646 published vs .548 in AB bullet library. Similar outcome for the 130.

After using the AB software to model out some drop/windage charts, it looks like Berger is the best way to go.

Anyone else having to adjust the BC of the ELD-M down when trueing? What kind of numbers are you real world guys getting?

Reactions: Supersubes
You’re gonna get a lot of different answers on this, but the bullet doesn't lie. Just shoot a few. My personal experience is that the mach 2.0 number is spot on with them.

Reactions: Steel head
Find Franks (SHLowlight) video on YouTube, Dope Disconnect. Hard dope vs hope dope is the gist of it. Make the solver reflect what the bullet is doing, rather than focus on what the solver says it should do.

In my experience most projectiles published numbers are overly generous and when I use G7 profiles I often have to drop the BC to line up with my curve. When I cannot use the AB profile this is the reason, the inability to adjust BC. Which more often than not is lower than published.

Find Franks (SHLowlight) video on YouTube, Dope Disconnect. Hard dope vs hope dope is the gist of it. Make the solver reflect what the bullet is doing, rather than focus on what the solver says it should do.

In my experience most projectiles published numbers are overly generous and when I use G7 profiles I often have to drop the BC to line up with my curve. When I cannot use the AB profile this is the reason, the inability to adjust BC. Which more often than not is lower than published.

Thanks. This is what I normally do. Get real dope and adjust BC. Just trying to see which bullet to start with. Trying to solve out, “Does one give significant advantages over the other?”

This also comes into ya when looking at Ballistics of 130 vs 140 gr. So far the Berger AR hybrid 130 at about 2850 looks like the ticket.

You’re gonna get a lot of different answers on this, but the bullet doesn't lie. Just shoot a few. My personal experience is that the mach 2.0 number is spot on with them.
That number works well for me to about 1500, after that it’s even lower.