• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Adjusting Howa Trigger?

TaylorM

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2008
Cedar Point,KS
I did a search but didn't really find what I was looking for. Was wondering if anybody had some good info on adjusting the factory trigger?

Re: Adjusting Howa Trigger?

>Check Weapon is Unloaded<

undo the 2 locking nuts on trigger.

with safety on fire, turn rear adjustment screw clockwise untill striker falls,
back screw out about 1/4 turn.
re cock the rifle
check if safety catch works
if it doesn't you need to back the screw out again a little at a time until the safety does work,

then tighten the lock nut,.be carefull to hold the screw whilst tightening.

back the front screw out ( anti clockwise) nearly all the way, screw back in until you feel spring tension,

check that the bolt cocks and trigger works,

with the safety on fire, try slamming the bolt closed 10 times, if the striker falls you need to increase spring pressure untill you can slam the rifle closed without the striker falling.

re tighten lock nut,

it is possible to re machine the trigger to allow the safety to work when the sear engagement is at a safe minimum,

you can get the Howa trigger down to about 500g pull weight safely by doing this, in standard form you can get it down to about 800g - 1100g with the safety still functionable.,.

regards Pete

Trigger is very easy to adjust. Did mine lastnight and set it right at 2lbs. with no creep. Had always been told not to expect much from the factory trigger. But have to admit I'm impressed with the oe unit.

This is why I love the Hide! A quick search on the Google engine and I found this thread. I followed Pete's instructions and now this trigger is the best of any rifle I own and much better than the Rem700 I used to own. Zero creep and a very clean break just under 2 lbs and almost no over travel either. I am very impressed with the stock trigger on this thing. (the downside is realizing all of my AR triggers are garbage.)

Just used Pete's method for adjusting the trigger on two Howa rifles all I can say is wow what a sweet stock trigger.

Has anyone tried to adjust the newer 3 position safety Howa trigger?

The factory is about 3.5 lb. There is only one screw to adjust trigger pull weight. I took it almost all the way out, the trigger is still 3 lb.
frown.gif

Riflebasix told me that Howa changed their trigger mount from a nose to a pin in 2011. Many 3rd party triggers won't fit newer Howa. Just make sure to take your factory trigger off, compare it to the picture of 3rd party triggers before you order a new one.