• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Adjusting Jewell Trigger

JB02

CDR
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2011
    Northern VA
    I would like to adjust my Jewell trigger to get a little more sear engagement. The reason is that I think that my firing pin needs to release with a tad more force. From my troubleshooting, I believe that I can rule out a dirty bolt, debris in the firing pin pocket, wrong firing pin length, faulty primers, or excessively deep primer pockets. I had an issue with light primer strikes with my Timney trigger a few months ago and the issue was corrected by installing a different "U type" sear that put more cocking tension on the firing pin (as noted by having the bolt protrude past the shroud with the new sear).

The user manual says how to adjust the sear (along with the overtravel and pull force). My worry is that if I adjust one sear that I'll affect the pull weight or overtravel, and I'm also interested in suggestions of how much I should back the screw out. I don't believe I need that much, just a tad.

Thanks for any assistance.

Re: Adjusting Jewell Trigger

Changing the sear engagement will not increase the force the firing pin falls with.

What action is this for? I may be wrong but firing pin "force" is derived from the firing pin spring not the ammount of sear engaugement ment to hold the firing pin in the cocked position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Changing the sear engagement will not increase the force the firing pin falls with. </div></div>
    Sorry I type slow, you beat me to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Changing the sear engagement will not increase the force the firing pin falls with. </div></div>
    Sorry I type slow, you beat me to it.</div></div>

Well then there's no use messing with it.

Have you checked the primer pockets for the correct depth after uniforming?

Rem 700 you can buy a spring kit to help out...Have you checked firing pin protrusion? Also when adjusting for sear engagment you are also increasing your "lock up" when timing a bolt for tactical/hunting I would not go over .2400...Just a thought

By sear engagement, do you mean the firing pin to trigger sear? Raising the trigger assembly would increase the distance the firing pin travels, which would increase the hit on the primer, but I don't know about that particular trigger, if it can be adjusted. Usually not, only the sear engagement within the trigger is adjustable, which won't change the distance the pin travels.