• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Adjusting NIghtforce Zero Stop

paindoc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2008
Peoples Republic of Michigan
I am embarrassed to say I lost the manual to my new 5.5-22*50 NXS Nightforce. I was wondering if anyone can post the pics/instructions to reset the zero stop.

Nightforce online manual mentions nothing about resetting/adjusting the zero stop.

I feel like a bonehead.

Re: Adjusting NIghtforce Zero Stop

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc_J</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feel like a bonehead </div></div>Boneheads don't purchase 5.5-22 NF's with MLR/MilRad and zero stop.
I'd help you out, but I have never adjusted one myself on a NF.
Nice kit, BTW!

They are nice folks, probrably send you a new manual n/c. Guess that doesnt help today, though.

I think Doc could use a pic of the elevation knob with the turret removed. Anyone?

zerostop1.jpg

zerostop2.jpg

Thanks, Randy. He's sighting-in today.

We wouldn't steer you wrong, would we?
wink.gif

There is also a back page to that zero stop adjustment. FWIW, this is how I did it. I basicaly zero my scope to whatever the setting that you want. Then I remove the turret after that, that way you don't have to worry about playing with the elevation turret. Once it is set at the zero that you want, then remove the turret. Be careful not to get sand/dirt into that area, since it is filled with grease (another reason why I zero it before removing the turret). Once you remove the turret, all you have to do is ajusting the zero stop knob. I also added two MOA down, in case you need it. This depends on where you zero your scope. The rest is straight forward. Good luck. Love my Nightforce.

that's how i do it. zero as usual, add a click or two down, pop the turret off, loosen and run the zero stop clutch down to the stop, tighten it and re-assemble.

Ok call me silly. Once I have my zero.
1) Loosen the two set screws and remove the turret.
2) loosen the four set screws that hold the clutch
3) rotate the clutch clockwise without feeling any clicks? This part is where I am having problems. In that the clutch is covered in lube I can not seem to get a grip on it. I have read and re-read the instructions. I hope I am missing something trivial. Has anybody thought of a Youtube for this?

HELP???

The clutch is just the little knob on the top. It should not take a significant amount of force to turn it once the set screws are loosened.

I backed the 4 set screws out per the instructions. I am not able to get firm traction on the clutch. the clutch is supposed to rotate clockwise independent of the brass elevation screw, correct?

I followed the instructions, and mine adjusted fine, as did everyone I have seen. Perhaps you should contact the customer service folks at Nightforce in case there is something wrong with your scope.

It was. Mine were not the nice color glossy.......

Nightforce is working through this with me. Thank you for all your help and thank you for Nightforce's (lightforce's) help.

I just did this today, using the alternate (and better than Nightforce's, IMHO) process suggested by DesertHK, 1sikpupi and Scottx88. For posterity, here is the procedure that (IMHO) Nightforce should provide instead of the get-dust-into-my-innards procedure that they do provide:

1) Do not remove the elevation dial.

2) Fire and zero the rifle at your desired range, adjusting the elevation dial as necessary.

3) Add 4 more clicks down (or your desired number of below-zero clicks).

4) Loosen the two set screws on the elevation dial 2 turns (counter clockwise). Assure that dust is not blowing over your position.

5) Lift the elevation dial upward to remove it, twisting it a bit right and left as needed. Due to the air tight seal created by the O-ring inside, there will be some resistance while removing it. You should not feel any clicks while doing this.

6) The ZeroStop Clutch assembly is the shiny, two-tiered metal disc that you now see at the top of the turret. Loosen each of its four set screws 2 turns (counter clockwise).

7) Wipe any and all dirt from your thumb and forefinger. The ZeroStop Clutch assembly is covered with grease, and you want to be able to grip it firmly without transferring dirt to the grease.

8) Grip the greasy ZeroStop Clutch assembly (easiest if you grip the larger diameter lower part) and turn it clockwise all the way to the stop (until it will not turn any more). It may take several revolutions until you reach the stop.

9) While holding tension against the stop, tighten the four set screws evenly. To assure even tensioning, alternate between opposite screws as you tighten.

10) Reinstall the elevation dial by pressing it down, and turning slightly side to side as you press down. You will hear air hiss out as you do this. When you believe it is all the way down, apply significant downward pressure to assure that it is, in fact, all the way down.

11) Turn the dial so that the "9" is lined up with the tick mark. Or, turn it to some other appropriate position if you did not dial in 4 extra down clicks in step 3 above.

12) While holding the elevation knob to assure that it does not rotate, tighten the 2 set screws on the elevation knob. To assure even tensioning, alternate between the set screws as you tighten.

13) Dial the elevation knob over to "0". You should feel and hear clicks as you do this.

14) Your riflescope is now ready for use at the range that you zeroed it at! If your shooting sucks, don't blame us. :)

okay, so I just looked at my turrets and they are completely different. Actually, they're almost like a combo of ziess target turrets and the single turn zero stop leupold turrets.

Salmon is yours a compact line scope? 2.5-10x or 1-4x? Appears so from the threads for the caps. They are different than the 3.5-15x and up.

Yours is different than mine, but it looks like you just loosen the cross-bolt in the top piece, then push it all the way down and turn it slightly counter clockwise so the notches are interlocked.
Then just hold it in that position and tighten down the cross-bolt.
Same concept as mine, just a different way of going about it.

The 2.5-10 and the 3-15 both work basically the same way, they just have screws in different places. Zero your rifle, take the cap off, loosen the screw(s), spin the zero stop down until it stops, back off slightly if you want to be able to go under your zero by a little bit, tighten screw(s), replace turret with '0' aligned on indicator mark. Easy peasy.

Yeah, mine is the 2.5-10. It seems pretty self explanatory on how to zero, I just thought it was interesting.

Good to know it's not some obsolete version.

I thought my macro photos were pretty cool.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, mine is the 2.5-10. It seems pretty self explanatory on how to zero, I just thought it was interesting.

Good to know it's not some obsolete version.

I thought my macro photos were pretty cool.
smile.gif
</div></div>

They did turn out pretty good
wink.gif

good information. does nightforce put this in the owners manual?

I just sent my 2.5-10 off to NF to get the zero-stop and MOA-to-mil turrets conversion. One question I have relates to adding any additional clicks down. If you're using a 100-yard zero with a .308 (at least any of the loads I've checked), all your drops are come-ups, so any reason to allow any clicks below your zero in that case? The only one I can think of is temporarily switching to a load with better flight characteristics, which would have a higher impact @ 100 yards, and require dialing down a bit.

for me there is no reason to go below your 100y zero, but it would be handy to be able to go below a 2/3/4oo yard zero. but really all you do there most of the time is doing a 100y zero anyway

I've got a Savage 10BAS-K with a NXS 5.5-22 mounted on it. The Savage has a built-in rail/base on it. When I set the zero stop I bring the center brass screw all the way to the top and it is still 60 click below the zero of the bore at 100m. With it set I have 15moa of travel down and only 62moa of travel up, total 77moa. I can only believe that the base comes from the factory set at like 35moa of incline. I just picked-up another NSX scope for my other rifle so I'll see how it sets-up in the next week or so. I know it has 120moa of travel now before I've made any adjustments.

F1 3.5-15 zero stop issue, clutch dragging?

After zeroing, and setting my zero-stop, and carefully tightening the four screws cross-pattern, I had some uneven resistance at about the half-way point of the elevation turret revolution. It's not much, but it is a little troublesome.

I backed out the screws, carefully re-torqued the clutch using only about as much force as I could easily generate with the tips of my thumb and fore finger for the final twist.

It is much less noticeable now, but there still seems to be a little extra resistance half-way around.

I hope I didn't frig it up. Suggestions?

Re: F1 3.5-15 zero stop issue, clutch dragging?

OK, I spoke with Nightforce today, and discovered that it is also important to carefully torque the two turret-cap screws, going back and forth until the final 4 lb. final torque. Apparently, I had created a little drag on the O-ring.

Problem solved.
grin.gif

Has anyone removed all (4) screws from the clutch assembly by accident? I did
frown.gif
and saw that on the lower plate there are multiple holes (like 8 or 10). Does it matter what holes get lined up with the (4) screws when you tighten down the clutch? Also, in the middle of the brass elevation screw there is another small screw with the same size as screw head as the allen wrench that is supplied. Of course I stuck my allen wrench in there and saw that the screw was a little loose. I didnt tighten or loosen it. Curious to know what this screw does.

Ok, old thread, I know, but I just went through this again and there are a couple of things I didn't see mentioned here.

1. As pointed out the 4 clutch screws DO need to be cross torqued very evenly like lug nuts, <span style="font-weight: bold">but the amount of force is miniscule.</span> Turning the allen wrench with only as much force as you can easily generate with your thumb and forefinger on the shaft of the wrench will easily get you within a 1/4 turn of the required inch ounces.

2. Once your rifle and scope are zeroed (at zero on the turret and the target), turn the elevation turret clockwise to 4 clicks below your zero. Now loosen the elevation turret screws 1.5-2 turns. Remove the turret. You shouldn't feel any clicks.

4. Using clean hands and trying not to disturb the grease, loosen the four clutch screws 1.5 to 2 turns. Turn the shoulder of the clutch (the top of the black part below the metal clutch plate) clockwise until it stops.

5. Tighten the four screws, torquing according to instructions above in #1.

6. Replace the elevation turret and carefully torque the two screws with even light pressure. Make sure you replace the turret on four clicks below your zero. You're done.

Hopefully this is helpful. The guy at Nightforce who helped me said they were re-doing the manual for more clear instructions. Thank goodness.

I saw that video, and I had gotten got that far, but I wasn't sure how to get the extra clicks below zero. Essentially I just had to back off the zero stop position enough to get the clicks i wanted then reposition the zero stop making sure to replace the elevation turret at the four-click-lower position, so "0" was still 'zero".

if anyone needs help adjusting a zero stop, call me and i'll be happy to walk you through it