• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Adjusting scope

deadshort151

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2010
About 43.780222, -82.985417
I know this is probably pretty basic material for some, but it has always baffled me. When clicks on a turret are 1/8" adjustments at 100 yds, how does that equate out 200 to 1000 yards??? Does the adjustment double at each 100 yards or does the adjustment double as the distance doubles. By that, I mean would 1000 yards be 3/4" per click??? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

Re: Adjusting scope

1/8" per 100 yard so when shooting at 200 your one click will be a 1/4" or .250 adjustment (Atleast on paper). One click when shooting at 300 will be a 1/2" (.500) adjustment.
SmokeRolls

They go up an 1/8" every 100 yds. 1/4@ 200,3/8@300,1/2@400,5/8@500,3/4@600,7/8@700,1"@800,1.125@900,1.250@1000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One click when shooting at 300 will be a 1/2" (.500) adjustment.</div></div>

No. At 300 yards, one click would be nominally 3/8".

Just multiply the click value at 100 yards by the distance divided by 100. So, at 500 yards, each click will be 5 * 1/8, or 5/8".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One click when shooting at 300 will be a 1/2" (.500) adjustment.</div></div>

No. At 300 yards, one click would be nominally 3/8".

Just multiply the click value at 100 yards by the distance divided by 100. So, at 500 yards, each click will be 5 * 1/8, or 5/8".
</div></div>
My bad.....I hate 1/8" moa scopes...Hahahaha

I do, too. Great for benchrest, I suppose, but I don't do that.

And Leupold makes a scope which adjusts in 0.05 mil, which is just about as dumb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And Leupold makes a scope which adjusts in 0.05 mil, which is just about as dumb.

</div></div>
Is that AKA pubic hair adjustments? Hahahahahahaha
Thanks for the correction Lindy.
................SmokeRolls

If you take 0.00131" multiplied by any yardage it will give you the 1/8 minute click value.

that's all good if your scope actually adjusts 1/8 at 100 yards. they'll usually go a little more or a little less, which throughs the whole thing off.

convert to moa

Convert what to MOA?

The OP said the scope adjusted in clicks which were 1/8 inch at 100 yards. I assumed that he meant that, which is a perfectly valid specification of an angle.

Leupold M1 knobs are close to 0.250 inch at 100 yards, rather than 1/4 MOA.

It's a good idea to know what the click values actually are.

Optically Checking Rifle Scopes

A friend of my dads does a lot of benchrest and let me borrow his 3.5-15x56 Nightforce with a range finding varmint reticle. I haven't got to shoot with it yet, but I'm thinking, because of the brand, that if it says 1/8" it should be close. We are having a intra-department shoot this month out to 1,000 yards and all I had on my rifle was a Tasco silver antler. It was good out to 100 yards, but you can't show up to a Nascar race with a Yugo can you??? Even if I can't shoot it well, it looks awesome.

Better make sure what you have.

Nightforce's web site does not list a 3.5-15x56 with 1/8" clicks. It only lists one with 1/4 MOA adjustments.

Perhaps they made a 1/8" scope at one time, and don't any longer, or perhaps that's a new scope which is not yet listed on the web site.

I know, I already looked. This guy is very meticulous about paperwork and I have all the original registrations with me while he is letting me borrow it. He purchased it through Rocky Mountain Shooters Supply and registered it Sept 1997. He said he mounted it on a A-Bolt .30-06 shot it a bit and since it has essentially been in the gun cabinet for about 10 years.

Well, be advised that the benchrest models which Nightforce does make adjust in 0.125 <span style="font-weight: bold">MOA</span> clicks, not 0.125 inch at 100 yards.

What's the difference? With a typical .308 load at 1000 yards, it's a 20 inch difference in the point of impact.

So, it's useful to know what you really have.

picture.php

Hopefully that image went in.

So I am also assuming that when the manufacturer says there is 80 moa adjustment that is the total adjustment range - 40 up/40 down. I guess if the manufacturer specs are accurate you should have 520 clicks up and down at .130 mil/click??????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadshort151</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
picture.php

Hopefully that image went in.</div></div>

Blank page here.

All depends on how you zero the scope... With a verified 80 moa of total adjustment you can set up your scope, for example, with 10 moa of downward travel and 70 upward.... It all depends on your intended use.... Throw in a 20 moa base and get a full 100 moa of possible adjustment range... Would suggest a good perusal of the stickies on optics...much good info to be gathered as well as a total understanding of how & why these things work the way they do.... Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All depends on how you zero the scope... With a verified 80 moa of total adjustment you can set up your scope, for example, with 10 moa of downward travel and 70 upward....</div></div>

That's a little misleading.

The zero for a given rifle with a given load on a given base is not an option. You can't zero the scope for an amount of up/down adjustment at your option. The zero is the zero.

With the example you chose, of a scope with 80 MOA of total adjustment, and equal amounts of up and down adjustment with the reticle centered, if the scope is mounted on a flat base, you're going to use about 4.5 MOA to achieve a 100 yard zero. That will leave you with about 35 MOA "up" and 45 "down".

The only way to change how much up of your total adjustment is "up" is to change the base.

If you change the base to a 20 MOA base, you'll have about 55 MOA "up" and 25 down.

So what I am understanding is that at 48 clicks per revolution (I checked the scope) and 1/8 MOA per click, one revolution on the turret is 6 MOA or 3.96(+/-) inches at 500 yards and 7.8(+/-) inches at 1000 yards??

Also, how do I find the stickies on optics????

So what I am understanding is that at 48 clicks per revolution (I checked the scope) and 1/8 MOA per click, one revolution on the turret is 6 MOA or 3.96(+/-) inches....

So, this would be the change at 100 yards..... Right?????

I think I do get it. In my haste on that last post I left in the value from the 500 yard error post.

So half a revolution on the turret = 3 MOA = 3.14 inches at 100 yards/15.7 inches at 500 yards , and three revolutions = 18 MOA = 18.85 inches at 100 yards/94.25 inches at 500 yards.

OK - so for my final exam. Hypothetical. A ballistic table calls for a 15.45 MOA drop at 600 yards. Using the 1/8 MOA turret with a 6 MOA per revolution - you would make a change of 2 full revolutions and 28 additional "clicks".

If I'm not right, you can write me off as a lost cause for now.

OK - Now let me ask one more thing (yeah, right). If, at 1000 yards after making an adjustment for elevation, you find you are 22 inches off. Would you then divide that (22) by 10.47 to get the error in MOA for 1000 yards (2.1 MOA) ???