• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Adjusting X-Mark Trigger

grunt0311

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2008
OH
I am working on a Rem 700 300WSM for a buddy of mine. He wanted me to bed it and also adjust the trigger. Well Im not too sure how to do it so I am here to ask how to do it. I have tried to search the web for info on it but found nothing. Here is a pic of it. Thanks for the help.
IMG_20110828_120853.jpg

Re: Adjusting X-Mark Trigger

that link is to old style trigger, kinda sorta simular but not quite, google rem triggere adjust, lot of stuff on web, all begin with proceed at your own risk,.... the epoxy on a x mark trigger adjusting screws must be burned out with a butane torch, hold flame on them till you see a puff of smoke, then pick it out with a needle, a drop of oil & then your ready to adjust, after your done tinkering with it for Gods sake , slap it around & bump test it a little on a empty chamber, try to make relaese FP with out touching trigger if it does you aint done yet, keep trying it aint rocket science its a few peaices of metal, worst case scenario you buy a shilen or whatever, then mail old trigger to me ,just kiddin,...

That looks like the model X-mark trigger that proceeded the newer, x-mark adj. version. If it is, there is a good chance you can tinker with it and get the poundage down a little, but probably not as low as you would like. I took my 700 SPS to Robert Gradous when it still had the x-mark in it (like the one you're working with) to see if we could get it adjusted from its ungodly 7.5 lb factory setting. Even with Robert's plethora of experience and knowledge, he was only able to get it down to 5.5 lbs.. Any less and the trigger would gain a horrendous amount of play in it when it was in the cocked position, about 1/8 inch of wiggle before the trigger would engage. It wasn't even overtravel... if you shook the rifle, the trigger shoe would freely swing in that 1/8 inch range. So, he set it to 5.5 lbs with a clean break and no overtravel and I promptly ordered a Shilen trigger to replace that piece 'o junk. There was a marked improvement in my group size/shot placement after swapping it out.

As far as I remember, the set screw locations (and designated roles) is the same for an old style Rem. trigger and that x-mark, so that procedure for adjusting the trigger should be appropriate. Just don't bash your head against a wall if you find that you can't get it where you want it.

And +1000 on really testing that trigger after you do adjust it... the last thing you want is for it to let go when your buddy isn't expecting it to. I myself, would urge your friend to invest in a quality trigger that was truly made to be adjusted down to the poundages that we shooters tend to desire. That trigger was made as much by lawyers as it was by a gun manufacturer.

I appreciate the advice here. I have made adjustments to only the old and new style Remington triggers with great success. I have not done an X-Mark or any other triggers for the Remington. I try to get the triggers to about 3 lbs and thats what my buddy wants. I tell him that he needs to get a new trigger. He did mention that he wanted to get a Jewel trigger. What trigger do you think that he should get?

you can pick up a old style onhere sometimes for about 50-60 bucks, I like jewells but a lot of guys dont,I never had any problems with mine, shilen is also pretty good, I have one x mark came on a 5r & it breaks clean at 4lb feels great, guess I got lucky,

There was an hour long show on one of the T.V. channels within the last couple of weeks , entirely on the unreliability of Rem. teiggers. I watched it even though I have but one Rem. and it turned out to be interesting as heck. Quite a few vidios of Rems. releasing the fireing pin with just the safty being released. It also told of the meny lawsuits that have been filed because of this problem.

The best way to adjust that trigger is to pop out the two trigger pins and drop it in the trash. Put in an aftermarket trigger or an older model.

Re: Adjusting X-Mark Trigger [Re: USMC Grunt]
BBeyer
Staff Sergeant

Loc: Harrison, Maine Pensacola, Fl. There was an hour long show on one of the T.V. channels within the last couple of weeks , entirely on the unreliability of Rem. teiggers. I watched it even though I have but one Rem. and it turned out to be interesting as heck. Quite a few vidios of Rems. releasing the fireing pin with just the safty being released. It also told of the meny lawsuits that have been filed because of this problem.

I hope you dont beleive everything left wing media reports as news, NRA did a follow up on that show & found the reports to be false the reporter admitted he had dramatized the data swat team interviewed admitted they had adjusted triggers, the walker trigger is a great design easy to use & tune, hard next to impossible to break & is only unsafe when an incompentent person tinkers with it & fails to test his work on an empty chamber, come on its not rocket science , its a FEW peices of metal, that somehow has worked well for many years,.. adjusted PROPERLY,.........even if it was adjusted to light it would still take human intervention to point a loaded weapon at something they didnt want to destroy, its not the wand, its the magician

Remington should have left their trigger the way they were in my opinion. I guess that in their quest to compete with the other factory triggers such as Savage, they messed up one of the best factory triggers at the time. The old triggers could be adjusted by anyone who understood the way the trigger worked. The problem with that is that too many people who didn't understand the trigger would do it wrong, and when they had an AD and someone got hurt, they would sue Remington. So the lawyers step in, and you know what that means, idiot proof the product. The new triggers are junk IMO, and you would do your self a whole lot of good by changing it out with any of the top name after market triggers avaiable today, such as Timney, Jewell, Sheilen, or Rifle Basix. I'm partial to the Timneys myself.

I dont agree with the way some people say that Remington triggers are not trusted. I have only had one problem with my trigger on my TBA M40a3 and that was when it was taken off from safe to fire did it fire without pulling the trigger. I think that the old Remington triggers are just fine if they are adjusted correctly.

I talked with my buddy at work today and he is taking the advice of Scottx88 by throwing it in the trash. He is looking into the old Rem triggers to put into it. He wanted a Jewel or Timney but they are too expensive for him. He also wants an M24 trigger like on the work gun but those are next to impossible to get.

I had one messed with it then put in a Jewel. Changed everything about the gun. Take it out sell on the hide than get a real trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jheat308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had one messed with it then put in a Jewel. Changed everything about the gun. Take it out sell on the hide than get a real trigger. </div></div>

Thats what he plans on doing with it.