• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

ADL .30-06 not shooting straight

tx outlaw

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2011
Texas
Howdy y'all.

I got a brand new Remington 700 ADL in .30-06 two years ago, and I don't remember what kind of groups it was shooting then (I think around 1.5MOA), but I know they weren't as bad as they are now. I shot the gun over the weekend to test the zero, and it was shooting about a 6" group at 100 yards. I know it wasn't just me, because I had another guy shoot it also because I thought it was shooting funny. He put one bullet about 3" high and left of the bullseye, then another about 3" low and right of the bullseye. Next shot (3rd shot), he put it in the same high left hole, then the 4th shot went in the same low right hole. Essentially, he put 4 bullets into 2 holes about 6" apart from each other. 5th and final shot he took went about 3" low left (he swears it was a good shot too). We checked to see if the scope was loose, but it was solid as a rock (Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 sitting on Leupold bases/rings). I am shooting 180gr Remington Core-Lokt bullets out of it, and he suggested I try out some different bullets to see if the gun likes them better. However, another variable crossed my mind just now. When I bought the gun, it came with a synthetic stock installed. I purchased a walnut stock from a guy and installed it myself about 6 months after I bought the gun. Do y'all think that this could have caused the dramatic change in accuracy? Like I said, I don't remember how it was shooting before, but I know it wasn't close to this bad. I installed the stock correctly (I don't know how you can screw it up), I just took out the screws holding the action and stock together and slapped on the new stock. Fit and finish with the new stock seems just fine.

What do y'all think? Should I try new bullets? I'm skeptical that a simple change in ammo can tighten up my groups a whole ~5". I plan on taking it to the range as soon as I can with the old synthetic stock installed and seeing how it groups. But, that being said, I would like to keep the walnut stock on there if at all possible. If it turns out to be an issue with the stock, how can I have it remedied? If I send it to a gunsmith and have him bed the stock and float the barrel, will that fix it?

Suggestions and input are appreciated.

Thanks fellas, and sorry for the long post.

Re: ADL .30-06 not shooting straight

Stock could maybe be putting pressure on the barrel, but probably not that much. My bet is that your scope has crapped out. Sounds like the reticle is moving or the scope is moving in the rings. 6" is pretty bad. If it isn't the shooter, I would look at the scope.

Bedding issues can cause double groups as described. Make sure your barreled action isn't shifting around in the stock. My experience with scopes that have gone south is they just shoot all over the place. I bet a bedding job would take care of the problem.

Did you put the synthetic stock back on and see if the groups tightened back up?

I would check it with the synthetic stock. I have a BDLl .22-250 that came from the factory with a walnut stock. Shooting factory ammo it was no worse than 1.5" and then all of a sudden it opened way up. I wasn't having the same 2 here two here pattern when I pulled the rifle out of the stock I could tell there was some swelling in the would. I put it in a cheap synthetic remington factory stock that free floated the barrel and the accuracy was back. When I started reloading, I learned on this rifle and found out I had a very solid shooting rifle.

I dont believe its a bedding issue, try some different ammo and get back with us.

Youre resting the rifle on the stock and not the barrel, right?

tx outlaw,

You stated you changed the stock. Did you shoot it after the change? Your post indicates no. Yes, scopes can crap out, but since the only variable is the stock change since you shot 1.5 MOA, go back to the synthetic, and don't torque more than 45 LB/in with the stock bottom metal and no pillars. BTW, what ammo did you use before? It can make a difference.

Let us know outcome.

Kevin