• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing ADL Rem 700 Questions

M24_SWS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2010
Somersworth, NH
I just bought a Mcmillan HTG stock inletted for remington 700 right hand short action.

In the following photos i am wondering the middle screw.....i know it holds the front part of the trigger guard in place but what do i thread the screw into since theres a lot of space?

Also the ADL box mag....i bought the tiny screw for it but there is a lot of space btween the metal flap on the internal mag and the stock itself and the screw is really tiny.

Also the front action screw only protrudes about 1/4 inch or less....how much of the action screw is safe to be showing to thread into the action?

tiny box mag screw
IMG_0486.jpg

flap in mag for the screw
IMG_0485.jpg

Middle screw...as you can see lots of space around it and i dont know what to thread it to?
IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

Re: ADL Rem 700 Questions

If you take a close look at the underside of your action you'll find tapped holes for the mag and small center screws.

Hmm i didnt know that.

I also noticed theres a small bushing for the center (front) guard screw from midway use.

My 700 action was from a BDL stock but i want to use ADL.

Hmm.

Well as for teh magazine screw...i saw a picture of underside of action where screw would go. My action is gone at the moment. So that clears 1 issue.

Issue 2 is as you can see in the picture.....theres not much room for a pillar? Please advise.

Thank you,

Heath

I'm guessing the bushing you're seeing is actually for the front action screw. On adl's there's normally a short plastic pillar that's glued into a recess in the stock. It's not a true pillar cuz it doesn't go all the way to the action. On BDL's the trigger guard extends to the front action screw. On the adl they use a plastic bushing on some stocks so your not torqueing down the screw on stock matl'. I'm not sure how your stock is set up. A pic of the front screw area would help.

The front bushing i will disregard.
The tiny screw for the internal mag..i see where it goes to the action.
Its the free space for the middle screw im at a loss for since i need to find some plastic pillar for it?
The last issue is the front action screw seems kinda short and maybe only 3 to 4 threads will engage the action....i do not know how safe that is.

No, you don't need a pillar for the middle screw. That's just how they roll. The free space around the small screw is normal. You don't need very much torque on the small screw. The fron't screw has to be short so that it doen't protrude into the action and bind up the bolt. Clear as mud?

But the middle screw it has nothing to grip onto? Once the action is sitting in the stock....is there a hole in the action for the middle screw as well?

Oh ok. Like i mention earlier...my action is gone getting stuff worked on and hard to get a good underside view of the receiver.

Heath