• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adopting a 4 year old lab?

rrflyer

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2008
DFW, TX
Finally moved out of the condo and onto a place with a couple acres. Friend of a friend has a yellow lab they cant keep. Its been fixed and house trained but I've never adopted an older dog before...anybody had any problems with them transitioning to a new home?

Re: Adopting a 4 year old lab?

I've adopted three greyhounds before (not at the same time) and they were all older (4+). Best thing is to establish rules and her place then show as much affection as possible. Once she knows her place and settles in there, it should go smooth. I'm no Ceasar Milan but it's worked for me.

If the pet is coming from a stable enviorment there should be no problems and you will be ahead of the game. As Mike stated, establish rules and her place then show as much affection as possible. Labs are great pets. Good luck and enjoy you new friend.

The dog will be depressed for the first few weeks (my experience was about 3 weeks). Literally whining, crying, may even try to escape for old owner. Can't stress enough the showering with affection as early and as much as possible. Toys and play-time are the antidotes. Let the dog explore as much of the neighborhood, dog park etc. in a controlled setting with walks etc. And, as stated above, be firm with rules (if there are multiple members in household make sure every person is consistent with rules - such as no begging, where the animal can/can't lay, amount of barking permitted). Since you know the owner, you have the advantage of learning the dogs' pre-existing commands. No reason to change them. See also if the old owner will allow you some of the dogs "comfort items" - old toys, blanket from crate, etc.
The benefit is..usually they are housebroken. Here is a suggestion: put some jingle bells around a door knob (even more than one door works, but do make sure it include bells to the backdoor or yard). Jingle the bells before you take him out to relieve himself. If you are consistent, he will learn to tell you when he "needs" to go out by jingling the bells.

i have two akita that were rescues. both took a while to warm up to me but i just let them be. i have a fenced back yard. i can leave the back door open year round so they can go out at will. now the male will sit in my lap (all 110 pounds of him) and the female will cuddle right up to me too. just be patient and observant. you will pick up on his/her cues. most dogs are smarter than us anyway. they really train you, not you them, lol. just show him/her plenty of love and be patient. its new for both of you

Since labs are really puppies for 2-3 years, you would be getting a great dog without the hassle of raising a puppy. Unlike many rescues, you have the opportunity to see the dog in it's current environment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubrey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since labs are really puppies for 2-3 years, you would be getting a great dog without the hassle of raising a puppy. Unlike many rescues, you have the opportunity to see the dog in it's current environment.</div></div>

Will you tell my 5 year old lab that she can quit being a puppy now!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubrey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since labs are really puppies for 2-3 years, you would be getting a great dog without the hassle of raising a puppy. Unlike many rescues, you have the opportunity to see the dog in it's current environment.</div></div>

Will you tell my 5 year old lab that she can quit being a puppy now!! </div></div>

Ditto.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubrey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since labs are really puppies for 2-3 years, you would be getting a great dog without the hassle of raising a puppy. Unlike many rescues, you have the opportunity to see the dog in it's current environment.</div></div>

Will you tell my 5 year old lab that she can quit being a puppy now!! </div></div>

LOL!

I picked up a 4 year old golden retriever 11 years ago, BEST dog I have ever had! It"s going to be a shame when she goes.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Treat her like one of the family and she will be fine.

It's great you are adopting. Thank you for that. You are really saving a life that would otherwise be destroyed if the dog found itself on death row (the pound).

They need a lot of running and playing or you could have behavioral issues due to the dog being board and having to much energy which could result in a lot of your things being chewed on, or the dog jumping all over new people they meet or playing to hard with dogs they just met.

My neighbor got a lab as a puppy and he barely runs it and it doesn't know it's own strength. He play bit me and bruised my hand up but luckily didn't break skin.

They also love the water. Their paws are webbed. Your going to love your lab!!