• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Advanced Bullet data?

B1BRamBob

RamBob
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2017
Olive Branch, MS
Is there information from the makers of bullets about the best optomun speed, barrel twist, and speed where the bullet becomes no longer effective? I have all the standard manuals. However, it seems during developing a bullet, they would know what works the best. They post various powders and show what you get but seems there can be more data out there. Maybe I’m running up the wrong tree but looking for more info to help my reloading. Any ideas?

It's not necessarily universal, even with the "same" components. Barrel to barrel of the same caliber/twist may 'like' different powders for precision with the same brass, cases, primers, bullets.

That said, what I've seen be fairly regular is to take 1.5-2gr off of the max book load with a Hodgdon Extreme powder (Varget, H4350, H4831, etc.) or the newer RL powders (RL-16, RL-26, etc.), seat the bullet .020-.040 off the lands and rock and roll. If it doesn't group how you'd like, try a different applicable powder. If 2-3 powders shoot poorly, try different bullets or a different barrel if you're stuck on a particular bullet.

YMMV.